Chapter Twenty-Three: Complete

Oh ha.

This is the last chapter.

Whoopsie daisy.

No warnings!

WC: ~700 (it gets last-chapter-pity-points-)

Enjoy!

The world froze, then exploded into fireworks.

At least, that was how Xay felt.

A couple of seconds passed, and the pair pulled away, grinning at each other.

"Whoops," Hels whispered, earning a giggle from Xay.

"Yeah, whoops indeed," he murmured.

"So..." Hels mumbled. "What now?"

"I don't know," Xay admitted.

"I think everything might just be perfect," Hels's voice remained light as feathers. "As perfect as it gets."

"We're all safe," Xay listed quietly. "We can use our powers danger-less-ly. We don't have to hide. We all have each other."

"And we have each other," Hels finished, and Xay knew exactly what he meant. The younger of the two smiled and pecked Hels on the cheek.

"YES!"

The word was a shriek from the doorway.

Xay scrambled away from Hels in embarrassment, and turned to face Impulse.

"Finally!" Impulse cried, looking ecstatic. "Took you two long enough!"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Hels spat.

"Oh, it was obvious you two were in love from the get-go," Impulse snorted.

"Shut up," Xay grumbled, his cheeks flaming enough to make him feel like he had blood on fire.

"The question is, do I tell the entire server or not?" Impulse's voice had a teasing air to it.

"DON'T YOU DARE-"

"I'll just tell Xisuma and Wels!" Impulse offered, cutting off Hels's outburst.

"Please no," Xay grumbled. "Well, either he won't really mind, or I'll never hear the end of it."

"And with Wels, it's almost a hundred percent the latter," Hels snorted.

"Wonderful!" Impulse smiled. "Then I'll tell them!"

"You can tell one person," Xay tried to compromise. Hels sighed, then nodded. Impulse thought for a moment, then grinned.

"Okay,"

"He told Grian," Hels spat. "That little-"

"I thought he'd tell Wels or Xisuma!" Xay cried. "Not Grian! He might as well have told the entire server!"

"I probably shouldn't have underestimated him," Hels grumbled. "You would think that someone who's known him for years would know how freakishly smart he is. Apparently not."

"Oh well," Xay sighed.

"I'm heading back to my base," Hels told him. "Got stuff to work on."

"Alright, see you!"

Xay grumbled something salty under his breath as he searched through a chest. What do you mean, Etho, that there are no books on servers?

Xay picked up a book and quill, considering his options.

I mean... I do have quite the story... and I'm sure any new Hermits we get would like to hear it.

Xay's eyes widened in an idea.

No... not new Hermits...

Etho once said he had a way to get back to reality...

Xay smiled softly.

It'd be considered fantasy, wouldn't it?

Not reality.

Xay flipped the book open.

What's the worst that could happen?

I need a pen name first, though.

Xay hesitated, racking his brain.

Yax? No, that's stupid. Suhtnax? How would you even pronounce that?

Xay snickered at an idea.

I wonder how much Etho would make fun of me if I made my writer-persona-thing a girl.

Xay glanced outside, deciding to just have his name be something nature-y. Trees, grass, clouds, sky-

Storm?

Eh, it sounded cool enough.

Storm the writer. Who one-hundred percent is not writing about her own experiences.

This is the stupidest thing ever.

Xay laughed at his own idiocy, then began to write.

"The Missing"

Xay's hand hesitated, then continued.

If you lived in a normal society, then the phrase wouldn't be too familiar.

Xay continued to write, memories spilling into ink.

I could have a lot of fun with this.

This is the stupidest side project ever- I'm writing fanfiction about myself-

Xay buried his face in his hands, shaking with laughter.

He put the book away, promising to come back to it later.

Xay grinned as he worked on his base, a realization coming upon him.

My story really feels complete.

But... what's next?

I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Xay felt his thoughts drift back to the little side project of his.

What would I call it?

Oh... I know.

It runs through my veins.

A curse.

A gift.

It's always been there.

It's tainted who I am.

I know what the title'll be.

"Blood On Fire".

-Storm