Chapter Thirteen: Butterfly

I... couldn't think of a chapter name. So I made it a hint as to what the chapter's about.

W e l p .

Warnings --->

WC: ~1100

Enjoy!

"I-" Impulse trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"Who made this?" Xisuma breathed, his fingers tracing the yellow flowers.

"They knew I liked yellow," Impulse murmured, too lost in his memories to really register what Xisuma was saying.

I used to think about them all the time.

But I pushed away the memories because of the pain.

Now... they hurt more than ever.

Impulse took a step back, emotions swimming throughout him. He felt sick, sick with sudden feelings.

This must've hurt them so much...

The faces flashed in his head, blonde hair, violet eyes-

Were his eyes violet or lavender?

I haven't seen them in so long... I can't remember.

Impulse swallowed back tears, reminding himself that it wasn't something he could think too much about.

You're dead to them...

I wonder if they've forgotten my face.

The selfish part of me hopes they haven't.

"Hey, it's... okay... ish," Xisuma's hand goes to Impulse's shoulder, squeezing lightly.

Impulse's gaze was still fixed on his name, engraved in the stone.

He feels like he's mourning, but for who?

This grave was made for me, but it also represents the friendships that were lost.

I wonder if they're still friends.

Or maybe more than friends, they were stupidly oblivious last time I saw them.

Impulse giggled softly at the memories. He could almost feel Xisuma's confusion, but he didn't care.

I hope they're doing okay.

I hope it doesn't hurt anymore, it has been... how long?

"What's today?" Impulse asked Xisuma, who thought for a second.

"October seventh," he said. "Why?" Impulse smiled sadly.

"That means I've been Missing for almost three years," he murmured. "I wonder if they've forgotten me, or if they just don't care anymore."

"I doubt that," Xisuma mumbled. "I mean... you haven't forgotten them." Impulse blinked.

"Oh yeah," he said with a laugh, pushing the pain to the back of his mind. "I guess you're right."

"Do you want to stay here for a bit longer?" Xisuma asked. Impulse shook his head.

"Let's go," he said. "Can you just... give me a quick second? Alone?" Xisuma nodded knowingly, then turned and walked away.

Impulse sighed, then picked two of the yellow flowers and placed them on the gravestone.

"I won't forget either of you," Impulse promised softly, twin tears slipping down his cheeks and falling into the soil. "Zed, Tango..."