Aftermath | A Message About Sexism

You thought you were so funny
Laughing at what you said
But my heart tore at those words
My soul filling with dread

You've probably forgotten about it
Or maybe you're smiling away
"I made my friends laugh so hard," you think
"They love what I have to say"

I won't forget those words
I'll think of them with rage
When innocence was shattered
And truth was unleashed from its cage.

You believe that all is good
That this is all in the past
But demons resurface, you know
That scar will always last

It doesn't matter to you, does it?
Because you're a big, strong man in this world
But let me tell you something
Let reality be unfurled

Sexism is still around, buddy
It's not all in your head
Women have been hurt and abused
Some have wound up dead

Feminism isn't something to laugh at
It's what so many women need
But don't let it be toxic
True feminism is about equality

Those words may have seemed innocent
It may have been a good laugh
But say them a little more, why don't you?
Then have a look at the aftermath

*****

Wow... well... So, I'm writing this note a little after I wrote this poem. When I was writing this poem I had felt anger. But when I'm writing this note all I feel is sadness. I'm sad that this is what this world is.

Now when we talk about this stuff we imagine it being this big dramatic thing. Someone says: "All women are weak!" Then you get up and punch them right in the face! But it's different when it actually happens. More subtle, in a comfortable setting, and then the words are spoken... and your jaw just drops.

This is what leads to sexism.

Sexism still exists.

I watched a video called where feminists ask men the one question they want to ask.

Note: You should not place guys under one stereotype and there are many other issues similar to that in the comments just shocked me.

But here is a comment that also shocked me.

"Women do have equal rights."

Excuse me, tell that to all the women suffering across the globe!

So many countries are full of sexism. Women are hurt and abused just because they're female. Women still face struggles related to sexism today. In the same country you live in, in the same city.Maybe even in the same neighbourhood.

Some may think: "this is 2022, all those issues are resolved." It's still very present. It's still around.

This was only decades ago.

Now, I know this is a hard, uncomfortable subject, but it needs to be addressed.

I know that peer pressure is hard. For the guy's my age they often seem to be fuelled by their friends' approval. With girls, it seems to be more discreet. Sly bullying, talking behind others' backs, picking at how people look or what they do. With guys, it's sometimes different. A boy can be fine working one on one for a project, helpful and friendly. But when it's a huge group together suddenly they're constantly yelling, saying stupid stuff, and just being the stereotypical boy.

So that's how these things happen.

It seems so innocent. He says something. Then they all laugh.

As I said, he probably forgot all about it. Or maybe when he does he feels proud.

It just shows how uneducated they are.

You shouldn't laugh at years of people's pain. You shouldn't laugh at discrimination.
You shouldn't let it lead to that.
You shouldn't laugh at the girl sitting beside you, staring at you with a shocked look on her face as you feel pride swell inside you.

You don't know the aftermath.

But you should.