The First Day

I woke up at 6:45 and got dressed in my robes, my robes magically changed from from the Hogwarts crest to my house emblom. I grabbed my bag with my books, quills, parchment, and my wand. I walked with Hermione down the stairs to the common room. We saw Ron and Harry down there, we met with them and walked with them to the Great Hall. We get to the great hall just a few minutes before breakfast starts at 7:30. We head over to the Gryffindor table. I see George's ginger head in the crowd of the table he's sitting at the end closest to us. I walk over to him and smile. I sit down next to him and Hermione sits next to me, Harry sits across from me and Ron from Hermione.

There are eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, hash browns,pancakes, porridge,toast with jam and marmalades of many different fruits, and there were also fresh fruits like bananas, strawberries, and apples. There were all types of juices and milk. There was also ketchup and maple syrup. I grabbed eggs, bacon, pancakes, and milk. I also grabbed some strawberries. George was watching me again. I caught him looking and I looked back at him with a smirk. I was arranging my plate when I asked him, "Why do you always look at me?" He looked at me and responded, "I don't know, it's just interesting watching you." "Hmm." I said as I smiled slightly. I place the bacon across my pancake and I place the strawberries on top of my bacon. I grabbed the maple syrup and poured a drizzle over my pancake-strawberry-bacon concoction.

I did this often, I made concoctions. I see George looking at my pancake. I take my fork and knife and cut a piece with strawberry and bacon on top. I take my fork and turn in in George's direction. "Do you want a bite?" I ask him. Without responding he takes the bite off my fork. I laugh lightly at him. He chews and sits there for a minute. He swallows and says, "I don't know how you make all these weirdly delicious things." I smile and laugh lightly, I go to get a bite. I push the plate in between us and we share. We talk about ourselves and our families, our favorite things and things we hate. "My favorite fruit is strawberries, if you couldn't already tell, and I hate bananas." He teased me once I told him this, he took his banana and put to my face. "George! No! Gross!" I yelled at him. He just started laughing and said in between laughs, "You really don't like bananas? Do you Y/N?" I rolled my eyes at him.

I finished my breakfast and I walked with Hermione to all my classes. We became good friends. We went to astronomy class every Wednesday at midnight to study the stars, three times a week we went to the greenhouse with Professor Sprout to learn to take care of magical plants and fungi, and find out what they were used for. Easily the most boring class was History of Magic taught by Professor Binns, a ghost. Binns droned on and on while we had to scribble down names and dates, and got Emeric the Evil and Uric the Oddball mixed up. I wish George was in this class with me but he's in third year. He would have been making me laugh and making class less boring but I had to sit with Hermione who actually was fascinated by this class. Professor Flitwick, the charms teacher was a tiny little wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk. Professor McGonagall was different from the other teachers, George told me not to cross her.

She was strict and clever, she gave the whole class a talking-to the moment we sat down in her first class. "Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned." Then she changed her desk into a pig and back again. We were all very excited and couldn't wait to get started, but we all soon realized we wouldn't be changing furniture into animals anytime soon. We took lots of complicated notes, and we were each given a match to try and turn into a needle. By then end of the lesson, only Hermione had made any difference to her match; Professor McGonagall showed the class how it had gone all silver and pointy and gave Hermione a rare smile.

The class everyone was most excited for was Defense Against the Dark Arts, but Quirrell's lessons turned out to be a bit of a joke. His classroom smelled strongly of garlic, which everyone said was to warn off a vampire he'd met in Romania and was afraid would be coming back to get him one of these days. His turban, he told us, had been given to him by an African prince as a thank-you for getting rid of a troublesome zombie, but I wasn't sure if I believed this story. For one thing, when Seamus Finnagan asked eagerly how Quirrell had fought off the zombie, Quirrell went pink and started talking about the weather; for another, I had noticed that a funny smell hung around the turban, Fred and George insisted that it was stuffed full of garlic as well, so that Quirrell was protected wherever he went.