Flying and a Duel

* * *

It's Monday and I wake up at 6:45, I get dressed into my robes and I do my hair into a half up-half down look. I walk downstairs and see Hermione waiting for me. "Ooooh Y/N/N! I love what you've done with your hair!" She said bringing my hair in front of my shoulders. "Thanks Mione!" I say smiling, "Shall we get going then?" "Yep!" She says." We walk down to the Great Hall. I see George and he looks at me. I wave to him and run over. I sit down in between him and Fred. "Good day Y/N/N!" Fred said, grabbing eggs. "Morning Y/N/N!" George said. Today I made yogurt with some granola, strawberries and blueberries.

Today there was a notice pinned up in the common room when I went to get my book bag. Flying lessons would be starting on Thursday–and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together. Great. Just Great, another class with Malfoy. I'm not sure I've sorted out my feelings about him. He seemed so cold and mean at times but sometimes he was just vulnerable and warm. "Typical," Harry said darkly. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy." "You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," said Ron reasonably. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk." I giggled at his comment.

Draco certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the house Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories that seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters. He wasn't the only one though: the way Seamus told it, he'd spent most of his childhood zooming around the countryside on his broomstick. Even Ron would tell anyone who would listen about the time the time he almost hit a hang glider on Charlie's old broom.

Neville had never been on a broomstick in his life, because his Grandmother had never let him near one. I felt she had good reason, sure Neville was a very sweet boy but even with two feet on the ground he still managed to get into a great deal of accidents. Hermione was almost as nervous about flying as Neville was. This was something you couldn't learn by heart out of a book–not that she hadn't tried.

                                                                                           * * *

At breakfast on Thursday she told us all about the flying tips she got out of Quidditch Through the Ages. Neville was hanging onto her every word, desperate for anything that might help him hang onto his broomstick later, but everyone else was pleased when Hermione's lecture was interrupted by the mail. I still hadn't gotten a letter back from Sirius but when Leo came flying in he landed on my shoulder and dropped a letter on my plate.

Dear Y/N,

I am not too upset about having you not beating me in Wizards Chess and Professor Snivellus doesn't mean anything he's just cruel because he never got anything he wanted and no one liked him. Also it's alright you told the Weasley children, just don't tell anyone you think could possibly use them against you to harm you. I'm still contemplating if I should write Professor Dumbledore he could help you control your powers and maybe even figure out what they are or why you got them. Don't tell him til I've written to him though. I love you, I'll be awaiting your next letter. Remus also sends his condolences to help you deal with Snivellus.

-Love, Your old man Sirius

I was confused at what he called Professor Snape; 'Snivellus?' but I smiled at the last bit "Your old man". Now that I think about it, Sirius was not only my Godfather but he was like my actual father. Thinking about him and my dad made me tear up a bit. George looked over at me and asked, "Are you alright Y/N/N?" "Yeah, it's just my thoughts." I respond, folding up the letter. He puts his arm around me and rubs my shoulder. I rest my head on his shoulder and close my eyes for a moment. I open my eyes and sit up right. A barn owl brought Neville a small package from his grandmother. He opened it excitedly and showed us a glass ball the size of a large marble, which was full of white smoke.