Potions

I woke up at 6:45 and dressed into my robes. I headed down the stairs to the common room and Hermione was there reading. "Ready to go?" I asked. "I'm always ready, Y/N." she replied. We walked down to the Great Hall and I sat with Harry, Ron and Hermione. The boys were already eating. "How are you boys down here so early?" Hermione asked them. "We woke up earlier so we could go on our own and not get lost." Harry said to her. I got myself some bacon and eggs and started eating. "What have we got today?" Harry asked Ron as he poured sugar on his porridge. "Double Potions with Slytherins," said Ron. "Snape's head of Slytherin House. They say he always favors them–we'll be able to tell if it's true." " Wish McGonagall favored us," said Harry. Professor McGonagall was the head of Gryffindor House, but it didn't stop her from giving us a huge pile of homework.

Just then the mail arrived, Leonardo came flying in with Hedwig; Harry's owl. Leo landed on my shoulder and dropped a letter in front of me. It was from Sirius, Harry also got a letter too. I turned the letter around and opened it,

Dear Y/N,

Congratulations on making it into Gryffindor! I couldn't be more proud. Remember to study hard in your classes even if they are as boring as Professor Binns. I'm sure it would be alright if you showed Harry your powers, after all he is your brother. Just don't tell too many others, are we clear? I love you. I'll be awaiting your next letter.

-Love,Sirius

I close the letter and put it in my bookbag. Breakfast is finished and I walk with Hermione to potions. With Hermione I never seemed to get lost she helped me find my way and taught me where everything was. She knew the whole castle as if she had been here for years. Potion lessons took place back in the dungeons. It was colder here than up in the castle, and would have been quite creepy enough without all the pickled animals floating in glass jars all around the walls. I had Draco as my potions partner, Snape started the class by taking roll call, he paused at mine and Harry's names. "Ah yes," he said softly, "The Potters. Our new – celebrities." Draco and his friends Crabbe and Goyle snickered behind their hands. Snape finished calling the names and looked up at the class.

His eyes were black like the night sky. They were cold and empty and made you think of dark tunnels. "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but we caught every word–like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its simmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through the human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses. . . . I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stop death–if you aren't a big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." More silence followed his little speech. Hermione was on the edge of her seat and looked desperate to start proving that she wasn't a dunderhead. "Potter!" said Snape suddenly.

At first I thought he was talking to me but I looked up to see he was looking down at Harry. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Harry looked very confused, Harry glanced at Ron but Ron looked as stumped as Harry. Hermione's hand had shot up into the air. "I don't know, sir," said Harry. Snape's lips curled into a sneer. "Tut, tut–clearly fame isn't everything." He ignored Hermione's hand. "Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?" Hermione stretched her hand as high into the air as it would go without her leaving her seat, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were shaking with laughter. I stretched my hand under the table in Malfoy's direction. A faint purple glow of energy went into Malfoy and he stopped laughing immediately, as soon as he stopped laughing Crabbe and Goyle stopped too.