Christmas Not Christmas

I woke up on Sunday, tired. I rubbed my eyes and got out of bed. I got dressed and headed down to the Great Hall. I sat down next to Fred and George, "Morning Y/N/N, you seem tired." George said. "I guess so," I said. I looked around for pancakes. "Georgie? Where are the pancakes?" I asked. "Seamus, sorta blew 'em up." he said bluntly. "It's alright, I'll just use waffles." I grabbed the waffles and made my strawberry, bacon and maple syrup breakfast. I took a bite and was immediately shocked. "Merlin! These are way better than the pancakes! Georgie, you have to try this." I say, handing him the fork. He took a bite, "You're right!" he exclaimed, and took another bite. George always did this whenever he liked food.

But from then on George and I always preferred waffles over pancakes. As the mail came in Leo dropped a letter onto my plate. I was very excited, Remus had written me back!

Dear Little Padfoot,

I understand your behavior. I know it's hard, but I can't wait to see you soon. I've currently been residing at Number 12, since I don't want to leave Kreacher alone and so you can come home for Christmas. Talk to McGonagall as soon as possible, I think it's very nice of you to stay with Harry and Christmas at the castle truly is beautiful, also did Harry win? Write soon if you talk to McGonagall. I love you!

- Remus

Remus' letter made me smile. I was looking forward to seeing him again. It feels like an eternity when in turn it's only been about 2 months.

                                                                                       * * *

Christmas was coming. One morning in early December, Hogwarts awoke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and Fred and George were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban. The few owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again.

No one could wait for the holidays to start. While the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the drafty corridors had become icy and a bitter wind rattled the windows in the classroom. Worst of all were Professor Snape's classes down in the dungeons, where our breath rose in a mist before us and we kept as close as possible to our hot cauldrons. "I do feel so sorry," said Draco, one potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He was looking at Harry when he spoke. Crabbe and Goyle chuckled. Harry was measuring out powdered lionfish spines and ignored them. Draco had been more unpleasant than usual since the Quidditch match. Disgusted that the Slytherins had lost, he had tried to get everyone laughing at how a wide-mouth tree frog would be replacing Harry as Seeker next. Then he'd realized that nobody found this funny, because they were all so impressed at the way Harry had managed to stay on his broomstick. (Courtesy of me) So Malfoy, jealous and angry, had gone back to taunting Harry about having no proper family.

It was true that Harry wasn't going back to our aunt and uncle but it was alright. I had already talked to Professor McGonagall about my holiday arrangement and she made special accommodations for me. I wasn't able to write back to Remus because I didn't want to send Leo out into the snow but I had Professor McGonagall contact him. He was my contact information since Sirius couldn't be on there legally.

When we left the dungeons at the end of Potions, we found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told us that Hagrid was behind it. "Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches. "Nah, I'm alright, thanks, Ron."