A Very Hamilton Halloween

Perhaps it was because I was still sad about Papa and on top of that I had tons and tons of homework. I could hardly believe it when I realized I had been at Hogwarts two months. The castle felt more and more like home each day but it was nothing compared to being home with Papa. My lessons too were becoming more interesting now that we had mastered the basics.

                                                                                        * * *

On Halloween morning we all woke to the delicious smell of pumpkin bread wafting through the corridors. Even better, Professor Flitwick announced in Charms that he thought we were ready to start making objects fly, something we had been all dying to do since we'd seen him make Neville's toad zoom around the classroom. Professor Flitwick put us into pairs to practice. Harry's partner was Seamus Finnigan. I was with Lavender Brown, whom I shared a dorm with. Ron, however, was to be working with Hermione. It was hard to tell whether Ron or Hermione was angrier about this. She hadn't spoken to Ron or Harry since the day Harry's broomstick had arrived.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, on top of his pile of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too—never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest." It was very difficult. I barely got my feather to move but I didn't know what I was doing wrong. Lavender didn't even do anything; she tried to make it float but she was just pointing her wand and not making the 'swish and flick' motion.

Harry and Seamus swished and flicked, but the feather they were supposed to be sending skyward just lay on the desktop. Seamus got so impatient that he prodded it with his wand and set fire to it—Harry had to put it out with his hat. Ron at the next table, wasn't having much more luck. "Wingardium Leviosa!" he shouted, waving his long arms like a windmill. "Stop! Stop, you're going to take someone's eye out. Besides, you're saying it wrong," I heard her snap. "It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long and it's Levi-o-sa not Levio-sa." "You do it then, if you're so clever," Ron snarled.

Hermione rolled up the sleeves of her robe , flicked her wand and said, "Wingardium Leviosa!" Their feather rose off the desk and hovered about four feet above their heads. Hermione had definitely gotten better since she did preformed it on George. The feather rose higher than it had last time. I was proud of her, she exceeded expectations for young witches, I had started reading books on feminism and the corrupted patriarchal society we live in and I think Hermione would be interested in raising awareness for extraordinary witches who helped shape magic for new witches and wizards to come.

"Oh, well done!" cried Professor Flitwick, clapping. "Everyone see here , Miss Granger's done it!" Ron was in a very bad mood by the end of class. "It's no wonder no one can stand her," he said to me and Harry as we pushed our way through into the crowded corridor, "she's a nightmare, honestly." "How can you say that? She's my friend, you don't even know the other side of her." I say.

Someone knocked into Harry, it was Hermione. I caught a glimpse of her face—and she was crying. "I think she heard you." Harry said. "So?" said Ron, but he looked uncomfortable. "She must have noticed she only got one friend." "Ron! Could you not be so shallow?! You're getting on my last nerve!" I yelled. Ron looked scared and he stopped talking immediately.

Hermione didn't turn up for the next class and I didn't see her all afternoon. On my way down to the Great Hall, I stopped to talk to Parvati and Lavender. "Y/N/N, did you hear about Hermione?" She asked me as I walked up to them. "No, did she talk to you guys? I've been worried about her." "She's been crying in the girls' bathroom and she wants to be left alone." "Oh no." I say, I felt so bad and despised Ron for saying all those things about her. "I feel so bad, the poor thing." Lavender said. "Well I got to go, if any of you hear anything about Hermione keep me updated." I say and walk to Ron and Harry and continue walking to the great hall.