Prologue

Prologue.

Wow, this is profoundly boring.

"Yes, the people of Hizuru are now coming to grips with the tragic blah blah blah," is all she heard whenever she tried to listen in the discussion of her people. Not that she didn't care about her people's state of affairs, she just didn't see why she had to be there. She'd much rather do something else; anything else.

"Which is why Mikasa will marry, right away."

Anything but that.

Mikasa swung her gaze to Ms. Kiyomi, the woman who made that bold statement. Though her face remained as apathetic as always, her eyes slightly widened to indicate confusion. Kiyomi sighed at the girl, knowing she wasn't paying attention. Again.

"The current ruler of Hizuru, your cousin has recently found out that she is barren; therefore rendering her unable to produce an heir," Kiyomi explained it, noticing she finally captured the younger woman's attention. 

"Okaaayy," Mikasa still failed to see how that concerns her. 

"Then let her adopt." Mikasa continued flatly, the dryness in her tone always makes her sound as though she's being sarcastic, she wasn't.

"I thought I instructed you to read the handbook that explains our culture." Kiyomi sounded annoyed, her counsel men all grumbled along annoyed that Mikasa (a foreigner) didn't know their customs by heart. 

Their fat chins wiggled with disapproval, she could kick all their asses whilst tied to a chair and they dared looked down on her?

"You, the current leader of Hizuru and I are the last descendants of the royal clan of our empire. I am far too old to produce a child and the leader is barren, our final hope is for you to get married and produce an heir for our nation. It really doesn't matter who you choose to marry, maybe one of your friends will be willing, who knows, who cares? The main point is that you will just have to produce one heir and go on about living your merry life and we will take the child to the leader and they will be raised in true royalty." the old lady explained.

The way she said 'raised in true royalty," confirmed to Mikasa that Kiyomi had looked down upon the way she was raised. She gritted her teeth in anger. Why should she give up her womb, her womanhood, and her marriage life for a bunch of people who looked at her in disdain?

But they are here, aren't they?

She froze at her head voice, what are you trying to say? She asked her subconscious.

I'm just saying that they don't need to even be here, they don't need to be on this island, debriefing you,  telling you about your culture, you're a country- bumpkin soldier who doesn't know the first thing about being royalty yet they still include you.

So what, do I owe it to them now? She questioned her subconscious yet again.

No, you owe it to mom.

Her entire body constricted itself, her mother. Her mother always tried to teach what little culture she knew to her daughter. She would've been so proud to see her daughter now engaging with the officials of their homeland, she'd be even prouder to have her grandchild lead that nation, so what does she really have to lose? At least she could marry someone she knows.

"Fine," she whispered monotonously.

"I'll do it,"

Everyone around the table rejoiced, the plump lords wiggled their chins in approval this time. Kiyomi smiled fondly at the younger woman and patted her shoulder.

"Great, we have a month to get you married before we leave for Hizuru, so start thinking of some potential grooms!" Kiyomi sang emphatically. Mikasa merely nodded at the woman, not sharing her enthusiasm. She excused herself from the table and walked outside the building. She continued to march towards the alleyway, near the side of the building, where hunkered over and spewed out everything she had for breakfast that morning onto the cold concrete.

Why the hell did you agree to that? You don't wanna get married?!

No shit Sherlock, you're the one that made me do it.

Who's Sherlock?

"Mikasa?" a male voice came from behind her, she swung around to greeted by a gaze of concern, her body relaxed as she saw it was someone she'd known and trusted and not one of those corpulent lords who saw her as a walking ovary.

"Are you okay?" He questioned stepping forward slightly, she nodded and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

"How about we get you some water?" He questioned with a gentle smile, she realized that he was one of the few people she trusted, he would never harm her or put her in harm's way, she'd known him for so long she practically knows how he thinks and since they were stationed at Trost together for the past two of years, they've gotten even closer. So, why not marry him?

"Hey," She finally looked him in the eyes, he quirked a brow to signify his confusion.

"Will you marry me, Jean?"