17. Why does this keep happening?

Why does this keep happening?

Every time, without fail, every single time it happens.

Was the world just against her?

Maybe

She sighed.

For the past few days, she hasn't seen Eren at all. She heard all his Kingly responsibilities he avoided whilst he was in the hospital was once again thrust upon him. This time, in a tenfold amount.

And now...

It's the day before her wedding.

She still hasn't gotten to tell him how she felt.

But she was determined to do it today.

Cool afternoon air wafted around her, the sun was beginning to dip behind the palace, leaving tinges of violet and pale rose clouds to paint the darkening sky. Night will soon be upon them. This will be her last chance to confess before she is scheduled to be wedded and leave.

She meandered around the gothic hallways, looking for her lover. It felt like a concrete maze. She finally heard voices coming from behind the upcoming corner, a familiar voice.

Eren's voice.

She rounded the corner to find him speaking to a rather handsome, tall elderly man with graying blond hair and a ridiculously thick mustache. However, this man was unimportant.

She ran straight to Eren.

"Eren, I must speak with you at once," she demanded, needing to get the words off her chest immediately.

The man with beautiful green eyes turned to her with a smile.

"Ah, Mikasa. There you are. May I introduce you to Counsel men James? Counsel men James, this is my friend who's getting married tomorrow,"

The other man with uninteresting eyes looked towards her as well and bowed.

"Pleasure to meet you, I heard you are a princess of our allied nation Hizuru, congratulations on your engagement, young woman,"

She was also a Section Commander of their nation but of course, he'd overlook that fact.

Mikasa narrowed her eyes and nodded, the man looked as though he was accessing her carefully, something about him isn't... right.

Why does she feel uneasy?

"Anyways it appears you are being summoned by the lovely bride, your majesty. I'll be taking my leave now,"

The counsel men turned to leave but not before placing a hand on Eren's shoulder and leaning to whisper in his ear.

"Don't forget your promise, young King,"

Mikasa hadn't heard what the man said, but she did notice the light draining from Eren's eyes for a millisecond.

The man left, Eren turned back to her as the light-filled his eyes again.