20. She had nothing to worry about.

She had nothing to worry about.

Kiyomi spent all night tossing and turning in her bed, afraid about her decision to call off the wedding games. She fretted thinking that something might go wrong, leading to the wedding being called off, as the saying said.

But now as she placed the family necklace of fortune around the girl's neck, whilst she sat at the dresser in her wedding dress, Kiyomi knew she had nothing to worry about.

But it could still be canceled.

The annoying voice at the back of her head spoke, she ignored it thinking that there's no way anything could go wrong.

She hummed happily whilst brushing Mikasa's hair into place, she finally felt as though she will bring peace and fortune onto Hizuru.

Whilst Mikasa felt nothing.

Her eyes were emotionless, her face vapid, reflecting how she felt on the inside, empty.

"I do wish we could've had a reception, dear. Wouldn't that have been lovely? Perhaps your cousin will hold one in your honor in Hizuru. Did you find her letter enjoyable? It's quite unusual... blah blah blah,"

Mikasa lost focus of what the woman was saying, numbness ate away at her chest.

She didn't want to do this.

She allowed Kiyomi to dress her, trying to go over a few strategies of how to escape this hell in her head. She could come up with nothing.

"I must go to get Mr. Ackerman to escort you, the maid will continue this. I'm so excited!" Kiyomi fluttered away out of the room.

Mikasa couldn't believe that traitor could still smile at her in the face, especially since she probably knows the contents that the letter holds. Had Mikasa told her to call off the wedding, she probably would've instantly reported back to Hizuru, readying for war. The small amount of respect the girl had for her had instantly dissipated.

She clenched her fists.

This wasn't the way it was meant to be. This wasn't how she pictured today going last night. How could the best night of her life transform into the worse day possible?

She at least wishes she could've spoken to Eren about this mess but he was nowhere to be found.

Was it all really just a lie?

"You look beautiful, M'lady, so there's no need to cry," the maid whispered to the girl.

"What?" Mikasa brought a hand up to her cheeks and felt a trickle of tears, she quickly wiped them away.

"Thank you but I have everything from here, would you mind leaving, please?" She tried to keep her voice leveled.

The maid nodded then did as she was told.

Mikasa stood up from her vanity dresser, her buckling legs dragged itself over to the window, sweaty palms gripped the window sills.

She needed to escape.

She perched herself out of it, feeling the soft brush of the breeze against her face. If she were to escape this way and run for the hills... what would it mean for all her friends?