24. When I was nineteen

"When I was nineteen, I got married,"

Eren sucked in a breath, he raked a hand through his newly short hair.

"When I was 21, my wife and I filed for a divorce,"

He turned to look at Historia in her own seat, she smiled at him encouraging him to continue his effusion.

"It's been three years since we've filed for divorce. I am now 24 and as of yesterday, fully divorced from Queen Historia Reiss,"

The journalist, Roy, stared at the former couple listening keenly. He smacked his assistant Peaure on the arm, silently telling him to write down everything Eren had just said. Peaure did follow his silent request and scrabbled down everything said.

"As of today, Eren has been relieved of his duties and will no longer be serving as King," Historia explained calmly. Roy gasped aloud.

"But... your majesty! How will Paradis function without-"

"I took over this country when I was 15, I never needed anyone to help me run it," Historia replied in a stern tone.

"The reason you were called here, Roy, was to give an unbiased report on the end of our marriage," Eren leaned forward in his chair and leisurely placed his elbows on each knee. "Since you were the one to break the news of the true leader of Paradis to everyone, it seemed fitting for you to cover this as well,"

"Yes, I understand that your maj- I mean Mr. Jaeger. But I just don't know why this happened-"

"And you won't know either." Eren's face remained expressionless. "Quite frankly, it's no one's business as to why we divorced. Had we made this public any sooner the divorce would've to last far longer than three years due to a public spectacle, which is why we are informing the public now,"

Peaure nodded, his hands moving as fast as they could, trying to capture the reveal of the moment.

"No reason will be given as to why we were divorced, we will not leave room for rumors to circulate. It was an amicable divorce and we are still friends, that is all you need to know, and that is what I better find in the papers tomorrow," Historia said warningly, the men felt a shiver run up their spin. When did she become so stern?

"Of course, your majesty." Roy and Peaure bowed. "Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to break this news, I wish you both the best in your future endeavors,"

The journalists both got up and left. Historia released a loud breath, her confident front breaking.

"I hate being strict, it's so hard,"

"It was pretty badass though," Eren egged her on. She giggled in response.

"Only because I was trying to mimic you," she jested for one second before turning to the man with a grave look.

"So what're you going to do now?"

Eren's hand instinctively went to the pockets of his coat, the soft fabric of a familiar scarf greeted his fingertips. He's craved this moment for so long. The moment he's free.

The moment he can finally go after her.

"You know exactly what I'm going to do,"