26. You Deserve Better...

⚠️cursing⚠️

—~~—~~—~~—~~—~~—~~—

Our first game today against Nekoma had just started. Kiyoko and I sat on the edge of our seats, watching as Hinata-kun and Tobio attempted a quick attack.

A tall, silver haired guy from the other team turned and jumped after Hinata's spike, just barely missing it.

I grit my teeth, glaring at the blocker who almost caught up to us. "For some reason, now that he almost stopped our quick... I don't like him." I mumbled, glancing over to Kiyoko, as she smiled at the court.

"That just means you're passionate about our team—but try to not be a sore loser, okay? We'll get better." She wrote a few things down when we scored a point. I hummed in response, then averted my gaze to the boys.

Tobio dove for a stray ball, keeping it in the air as Sawamura set it to Azumane. He jumped up, reaching for the ball, until Hinata-kun appeared next to him. The two boys bumped into each other mid-air, then fell onto the ground.

The gym grew silent, the only thing audible being the ball, which bounced away.

"Make sure to look around you, kid! That's why we call everything out!" Coach Ukai shouted, as Hinata-kun sulked under his glare.

"Hinata, get it together!" Tobio butted in, with almost the same energy as Ukai; as Hinata-kun apologized quietly.

"Did he just—try to take the ball away from the ace?" I whispered, leaning towards Kiyoko. She looked at me worriedly, then nodded.

"I am done closing my eyes for the freak quick attack."

I whipped my head toward Hinata's voice, my eyes landing on his figure, standing in front of Tobio.

"Huh?" Tobio glared at him, causing him to stiffen, before setting himself straight again.

"We can't keep doing this. It obviously isn't working anymore. So I—"

"You learned to do the normal quick attack, because it was all you could handle. I don't know what you're thinking about right now, but we can talk about it after the game; Because if you're saying you're going to do that during this game, I'm not going to set to someone I know will miss."

Tobio turned and walked away, giving me a feeling of déjà vu, back to when Tobio got mad at me for 'standing him up'.

"I—"

"It's best not to get involved." Ukai strutted up to Kiyoko and I with his arms crossed. I stared at Tobio, who stood at the edge of the court, the ball firmly in his hands. That argument was a lot more heated than their other ones...

Once he served, he ran back into the court. I ripped my gaze away from him, glancing to the rest of the team. Now, almost everyone seemed weighed down.

The match ended fairly soon after that, with Nekoma coming out on top.

"(Y/n)! Fill up the water bottles for me?"

I nodded hesitantly, turning to Kiyoko and picking up the carriers. She walked away, clipboard in hand, as always.

I really thought we were going to take that set from them... I guess the argument between Hinata and Tobio was really that bad...

I trudged to the hallways, my footsteps echoing with each heavy stomp I make. The morning sunlight poured in from the windows, casting an amber glow onto the ground. I thinned my lips, completely lost in thought.