27. Somebody! Help!

⚠️cursing⚠️

—~~—~~—~~—~~—~~—~~—

"One hundred percent, yes."

Noya-senpai, Tanaka-senpai and I talked around the gym's entrance. We just got off the bus from Tokyo, so we're all pretty exhausted.

"So, that's a yes?"

I stifled a laugh at Noya, who only grinned in response. The two boys began to bicker about the word 'yes'.

A loud yawn escaped my lips, as I closed my eyes in attempt to dry up the tears that pricked the corners of it. Both senpai's turned to me, Tanaka tilting his head in a concerned way.

"You should go to sleep, you look pretty tired," He remarked, as Noya glanced to him, then nodded in agreement. "Yeah, like you've been hit by a truck... b-but an incredibly pretty truck!" He stammered, and I smiled reassuringly.

"You're fine." I snickered, then looked toward the gym entrance. The light from inside polished the dull concrete before it. "I guess I should get going. I'll see you guys later," I murmured, walking toward the doorway.

I heard a chorus of goodbyes from behind me, as I approached the doors. I peered inside, watching Hinata tie the net together, and Tobio push the cart next to him.

I shivered, staring at Tobio for longer than I intended. Sighing, I stepped past the door—but before I could walk out of sight, Hinata-kun called out my name.

"Would you mind throwing a few balls for us before you go, Shimizu?" I froze, flicking my gaze toward the two boys, who stared back expectantly. I avoided Tobio's small glare, then nodded softly.

"Are you sure? I don't really know how." I reasoned, but the carrot shut me down quickly.

"All you have to do is throw curve balls over Kageyama's head."

I thinned my lips, before coming to a decision. "Alright." I mumbled, as Hinata smiled at me. I shuffled toward Tobio, and Carrot-kun walked to the edge of the court. I reached toward the ball, placing my hand on it softly.

Another hand laid on top of mine, the callouses making it easy to guess who's it is. Tobio jumped back almost immediately, ripping his hand off of mine. I grinned sheepishly, taking the ball in my grasp and stepping back.

"I'm ready!"

—~~—

Again.

And again.

Hinata just—couldn't make contact with the ball. With every swing, the ball would bypass him and land on the ground. With every missed ball, would come a grunt of dissatisfaction from the both of them.

I couldn't help but feel guilty, maybe my throwing is off and Tobio can't set correctly. But if that were the case, wouldn't they ask for another person to do this job?

I sighed, as another ball hit the floor morosely. Hinata fell down from the net, landing on his feet roughly as he turned to Tobio.

"One more!" He pleaded, as I held the volleyball firmly in my hands. Sweat streaming down both of their faces, they faced each other angrily.

"Instead of repeating this attack that we may not be able to do, why can't we practice blocking, or serving or—any of the other ten thousand things we need to get better at right now!?" He shouted in return. I carefully chucked the ball back into the cart, suddenly feeling a chill run up my spine.

Something about this doesn't feel right...

"But—if this quick attack doesn't work out, I have no reason to be standing on the court!" Hinata rebutted, breathing heavily and glancing to the floor.