13 - cherry

ashton mackenzie

"What's up, Grey?"

This is definitely not how I wanted tonight to fucking go. 

I can feel the suffocating tension in the car, and it's different than the tension that was there before. That tension was wanted. It was baited and exciting, while this one is uncomfortable. 

I was so quick to decline Greyson's first call. Sure, I didn't think he would have been calling for anything important, but then when he called for a second time, my dumb, sympathetic mind started to panic, thinking something was wrong. 

I don't know why Greyson would call me of all people if something was wrong, but I still wasn't willing to chance it, even if I am on a-- or, I mean, hanging out with Harry. I still don't know what this is, but I've been having to stop myself from calling it a date in my head, since he hasn't called it that. 

I'm burning in my seat as I listen to Greyson's voice slur through the receiver, "hey Princess."

If I rolled my eyes any harder, they'd fall back into my skull. Of course he's drunk. And of course he had to call me and potentially ruin whatever I've got going on with Harry. Whether I actually have  something going on with him or not isn't important, but I would still like for that to not be ruined by Greyson. 

"Grey, is something wrong?" I ask. It's short, and kind of rude, but I'm annoyed, and trying to convey to Harry that I didn't want to interrupt our conversation to answer Greyson. 

"Yeah, I miss you," I can hear his pout on the other end of the line, and I'm sure Harry can hear him speaking too, because I hear him let out some air through his nose, like a small laugh. 

I know Harry isn't very fond of Greyson, the reason why, I'm still not sure of, but that's exactly what makes this all so much worse. 

"Greyson, I'm kind of busy, can this wait?" I say in boredom. 

"Where are you, baby? Come get me," he coos into the phone, making me honestly feel a bit nauseous. 

"You're drunk."

"I've only had a little bit. But I can't drive, so you need to come get me so I can fuck you--"

"Greyson! No," I say sternly, feeling my cheeks heat up, knowing Harry can hear this right now, "I have to go. Be safe and please don't call me again." 

I grimace at my harsh words as I pull the phone from my ear before he even responds, hanging it up and reaching to plug it back in. 

"Damn," I hear Harry's low whistle, making me chuckle almost. It so isn't like me to just brush someone off like that, but I guess Harry's making me do things that just aren't like me, "ruthless, Ash."

He smirks at me, and I can't help but smile back at him as I let the music continue to play. 

"He was plastered and he interrupted Sam Fender," I reason, shrugging before I watch back out the front windshield. 

The rest of the car ride goes extremely smoothly after the initial road bump of Greyson's interruption. 

I can't even explain how excited I was when Harry texted me to ask me out for this. Shocked was actually my first emotion. Then disbelief, but then I understood that he actually wanted to, which was honestly the most confusing part. It made me feel better for practically inviting myself to his car in the parking lot on Saturday, knowing he would actually choose to spend time with me too. 

I'm actually really excited to go to this market thing with him. I know I'm definitely going to be spending money that I shouldn't be, but it'll be worth it. And there's honestly no one else I'd rather be spending my Thursday night with right now.