18|| The Case File

"The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

If there had to be one thing Manik Malhotra really took pride in, it was being in complete control of the situation, at least on face value. You could never look at him and tell if he was having a nervous breakdown inside or was too happy to describe. He had mastered the art of giving a fixed, calculated smile along with soft eyes, in any and every situation.

But today as he sat on his bed and awaited Nandini's arrival he was pretty sure this was a mistake. He didn't know if he could handle her presence, and her curious doe eyes staring at him like he is a question she had finally got an answer to.

He didn't know if he could handle any one's presence for that matter right now but Nandini's awaited one was horrifying him at the moment.

Because if he had to admit it to himself, he was scared out of his wits, of her.

It was Nandini Murthy - that girl sometimes felt like a living X Ray machine - she would look through him like nobody ever had been able to, apart from his mother.

The thought made him more restless.

"Damn!", he cursed getting up from the bed and walked around, trying to calm himself down but he was aware this was a lost cause. He was a wreck for most hours every time after these visits he had. And it was never a problem.

Until today.

Because today he knew he wasn't going to spend the day alone and wake up with another of his poker face. Today he was supposed to spend time with Nandini, and boy,
Nandini Murthy was smart. If he lost his composure even for a tiny minuscule of second, if she managed to see through his visits - she would put two and two together immediately.

It would not be such a bad thing to be honest, he knew that in his heart - but only if he was actually courting Nandini. Only if they could actually nurture this possibility of real feelings between them. Alas, that could not happen.

Not right amidst a fire breaking out, and threatening to burn both their worlds down.

He needed to have the upper hand with her, exploit her feelings, have her guards down - and not do the stark opposite instead.

The thought made Manik squeeze shut his eyes in utter annoyance. It was driving him crazy, whatever was happening between him and Nandini.

He was supposed to draw lines - between his reality and the illusion he was creating. But he wasn't clear anymore - especially not in this moment. His lines were blurring, and that was what terrifying him in all honesty.

For the first time in his life he could stand and clear agenda segregate what was his real feelings and what was just made up. He could not tag any part of whatever he had shared with Nandini a lie, he himself wasn't sure where his lies blended with truth anymore - and that was making him feel like a wreck.

Irritated at himself, he walked out of his bedroom to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of chilled red wine. Sipping it as leisurely as he could, Manik began roaming around the kitchen and picking out ingredients for cooking a lavish biryani instead. It would keep him occupied he believed, and maybe he would be able to handle Nandini better.

The bell of the apartment went off and Manik breathed deep before managing to open the door. Nandini stood on the other side, clutching on to her sling tightly, a ghost of a smile on her face as their eyes met.

"Come on in!", Manik smiled and ushered her in, she walked inside of the hall, waiting for him to join. He did in a minute, post locking the door and picked up his glass of wine from the coffee table.