25|| Ashore

And then I felt sad because I realized once people are broken in a certain ways, they can't ever be fixed, and that's something no one tells you when you are young.

- unknown”

“I don't understand”, Nandini murmured, looking around the dimly lit cafe that gave homely vibes with its cozy lounge chairs, beautiful art works on the wall and a nice, smiling staff.

Simran smiled, having anticipated that coming, but how boring would life be if not for the fun that people have at the cost of other's predicaments?

"You saw my message", she stated, her gaze careless as she looked around the cafe, albeit aware of how Nandini had stilled and was looking at her with her doe eyes widened.

Nandini Murthy was smart, she would give her that, but there still was this tinge of innocence and goodwill that was a huge part of who she was, and Simran could clearly fathom why was her dear friend so bewitched with her.

After all, in life you are mostly drawn to either what you lack in life as a whole, or to something you have known - something that comforted you and then you loose it.

"It was supposed to be a warning?", Nandini asked, a little over the edge. This place and the relationships she shared with people here, kept jumbling and she hardly could make out who was who or how to act with who.

“Warning? No. Advice, probably”, Simran smirked for a tiny second before picking up the menu and looking at Nandini, “Coffee or Dinner?”

Nandini, feeling as out of place as she looked, squinted her eyes and shrugged, shaking her head, “Just answers, or questions, would do”. Simran began laughing at the way Nandini put forward her curiosity and fear mixed statement.

“Two Iced Coffee and a blueberry cheese cake please”, she went ahead and placed the order herself, while Nandini continued to sit in silence, trying to understand the context behind the sudden “help” that she was being offered.

"I will give you both - answers and questions but before that answer one of mine", Simran stated, looking at Nandini, “Did you meet Senior Malhotra at Manik's place?”

Nandini stared at her, confused, giving Simran her answer without speaking, but as she contemplated the context - Manik's disheveled house and appearance made sense. So, his father did visit him. Given what Dr. Malik had told her about Senior Malhotra, no wonder Manik was that annoyed and shaken up.

“So let's start with the most obvious query first, the question that's written all over your face. Why am I suddenly helping you?", Simran smirked, and Nandini looked up, taking the bait and letting Simran lead. At this point she was the most clueless, and she had no idea about how cold the water was while having no other option but to jump headfirst.

“Well I am not”, Simran shrugged before she continued, “I am not helping You in particular I mean. I am just trying to help Manik, and he is a dear friend, so that should make enough sense”, she clarified, picking up her coffee that was just brought by the waitor. Nandini still looked skeptical.

“How is helping me helping Manik?”, she finally asked, deciding to be direct because if this was the way she could get some clarity, so be it.

Simran looked at her like she had grown two horns before rolling her eyes, “You are trying to re open the Aadya Verma case, aren't you? That's all and all about Manik Malhotra, sweetie”.

If fear gripped Nandini's heart for a tiny second, she didn't let it show on her face, but her entire demeanor did change as the situation sinked in. This wasn't a hidden thing anymore. Manik knew. Simran knew too. That probably meant everyone supposed to know, or everyone who wasn't supposed to know, knew.