Chapter 2||The Meeting(s)

Dream as if you will live forever.
Live as if you will die today!
~ James Dean.

The lecture theatre of the department was much more than what Nandini had expected, no wonder AIIMS had one of the leading psychiatry centres in the country. It was all air conditionied, and the curtains were as soothing to look at as the pastel coloured walls. The seats were arranged in semi circles, each row a little higher than the its former one, making sure no body could escape the eyes of the person standing at the dice. There was a podium on the stage, and a few chairs were haphazardly arranged, which Nandini assumed was for the high profiles to settle. Taking a deep breath she entered the hall, and settled down on the second row from the front in the middle. For some reason, she always preferred the second row to the front row, it was like more of a habit from med school. There was a lingering fear at the back of her mind, what if He had seen her staring from the glass aperture of his cabin gate? He would not recognise her though, would he? But he might take her as a crazy stalker, or for worse, one of those clingy girls who fell all over him? Nandini gasped as her mind took her back to about two years ago, when she had met The Manik Malhotra, for the first time in person.

The auditorium was all set, the big banner of the 'Annual Psychiatry Conference 2017' shining in all its glory on the back wall. The first year post graduate students were rushing all throughout, checking and re checking the arrangements- the VIP seating arrangements, the names, the goodies to be given, the flowers bouquets and the momentos along with the food stalls outside. A few first year and second year undergraduate girls were standing in a corner, all decked up in sarees and flaunting it since handing the bouquets and welcoming the guests were their domain. Everything was kept formal, which was why all the post graduation students of the psychi department in KGMC were dolled up in formals too, and for women in medical institutions, formal meant Indian dress ups. Everybody around was dolled up, in designer suits and sarees, even her fellow students but Nandini who was wearing a peach pink and cream full length maxi dress with a dupatta. Too much had never been her taste, she loved being simple and yet classy.

Nandini Murthy stood on the stage, alongside her closest friend Sneha, going through her lines because the duo werr supposed to anchor the program and she wanted to her best, after all, her long time crush and professional inspiration was about to bless them with his presence.

The cheif guest, a renowned psychiatrist from Seattle, Dr. Samuel John arrived on time, and the function began with his welcome and enlightening the holy diya kept on one side of the stage. Apart from him, Nandini noticed that another doctor was present, she acknowledged his name as Dr. Malik in the guest list she had in her hands. With grace, Nandini and Sneha commenced the program, welcoming abord all honourable doctors from the almamater and outside. When the speeches and presentations began, the duo came down the stage, and stood aside, and while Sneha was hearing everything with rapt attention, all Nandini could think about was when would Dr. Malhotra come. She made faces as she watched the door, and then at her watch but there was no sign of the man she had been impatiently waiting for.

A few minutes later, she walked out on the pretext of drinking water, and realised it had been raining outside. Nandini stood mesmerised, as she watched the pitter patter of the drops against the ground and against each other. Her college auditotium had an attached small garden inside its premises, following the walking corridor. She stood at the bay, watching the green grass of the garden turn greener, and a smile began to form unconsciously on her face. She had read it somewhere that human psychology and philosophy were like two sides of the same coin and today she could see why. No matter how much she wanted to just focus on the rain, she couldn't wander away the poetic thoughts that accompanied.