Chapter 3|| Out Patient Department(OPD)

Note: Apologies for the delay!

"On that dear frame the years had worn,
Yet as precious as the house,
On which we first experienced the light,
The witnessing, to us-"

-Emily Dickinson!

Nandini laughed as Meera made faces, gulping down the bitter coffee, and blabbered incoherently how her previous workplace offered tea early morning while Dev only shook his head at her antics. The three SRs were bonding well over the evening post the meeting. They were to work together anyway, so why not have a healthy work atmosphere.

To Nandini's pleasure, even Meera was looking for a residence and they both decided to take up a 2BHK as near the campus as they could get. Together the rent was affordable and managing a house seemed possible, they had a hearty laugh over it too. Dev already was settled here, he had relatives in Delhi.

They then decided to spend the evening in the girl's flat, along with Dev, talking and getting comfortable. They were supposed to have their first OPDs the next day. Since there were three professors in the department, excluding the HOD, each managed the OPD twice a week while Dr. Malik sat everyday but were referred only important cases as he had a lot of administrative work to do also.

One SR was supposed to accompany the professor in his OPD and the other two were to handle another OPD alone. Patients would first come to the SR opd, get registered and then either referred to the professor OPD or treated or admited, as per the cases.

They were given a timetable to distribute the work and Nandini saw Manik had OPDs on Tuesday and Friday. What sank her heart and made her super anxious together was the fact that the next day was Tuesday and she was supposed to work with him on her first day. The order was Dev, Nandini and Meera on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday followed by the same routine for the next three days for the first month, which meant both Tuesdays and Fridays she was supposed to work with Manik, and the remaining days she would pair up with the other free one for the SR OPD.

Dev had Mondays and Thursdays with Dr. Simran while Meera got Wednesdays and Saturdays with Dr. Ishaan.

"Damn! I was hoping to work with Dr. Manik but Nandini had the best luck!", Meera teased playfully while Nandini sat embarrassed, unable to react. One thing that she was trying to avoid was rubbed on her face and it disturbed her.

What was more confusing was the fact that the timetable was supervised by Manik himself because he was the teaching incharge for the UGs and the PGs, along with the SRs.

"So what? It will be rotated next month. Maybe you will get him then!", Dev shrugged and Meera made a face sipping her coffee.

"I can't believe tomorrow will be my first independent working day here", Meera exclaimed childishly and it made Nandini and Dev laugh.

"Come on girl, you have a year experience, think about Nandu, she has her official first work day tomorrow", Dev ruffled Nandini's hairs making her laugh and nervous together.

"True that. Help me with some tips people. My first day and that too with Dr. Manik!!!", Nandini tilted her head and made a terrified face, which made the other two giggle.

"By the way, you guys must know about the case right? It's just six months that it has been closed", Dev asked cautiously, unaware of the opinions of his two colleagues but his question made the two girls stop in their tracks.

"Of course We do. I mean I was here only, in MAMC when the fiasco started last year. But supreme court proved his innocence, so I don't know what to make of it", Meera answered, even she wasn't sure of other's opinion, so she put forward hers openly. Dev and Meera looked at Nandini who was sitting silent, unable to say anything aboard the pressing issue.