13|| Playing Games

~ "Some people turn sad awfully young. No special reason, it seems, but they seem almost to be born that way. They bruise easier, tire faster, cry quicker, remember longer and, as I say, get sadder younger than anyone else in the world. I know, for I’m one of them."
— Ray Bradbury~

Manik entered his flat, locked the door behind him, and threw his bag on the couch, before walking towards the dining table. Pouring himself a glass of water, he gulped it down in a go, and switched on the other lights in the house, walking towards his bedroom.

The mahogony reflected the lights back, giving the entire flat a classy look, and Manik smiled in satisfaction, like every day. There was something about this flat, his den, where each of the interior he had hand picked, stood with the contractors to have stuff custom designed according to him, and his theories, and the last outcome had given him the utmost satisfaction.

His four bed room-hall-kitchen apartment, situated on the twentieth floor of this building, was his personal heaven and he had made sure of that. From having a huge balcony attached in his bedroom, with floor length French windows separating it from the room, to having a modular kitchen with all lavish furnishings, he had done it all accordingly.

Ten minutes later, he walked out of the shower, pat drying his hairs, and stood in front of the mirror, in a black vest and track pants. His eyes stopped at the scar on his shoulder for a second before a smile formed on his face.

"I didn't know jealous Murthy is so cute", he chuckled to himself, throwing the wet towel on the bed and walking to the kitchen, while recalling the days events.

Dr. Malik sat in his cabin, glaring at him while Manik ignored the look, sitting opposite him playing with the paper weight.

"What is this attitude Manik? You know we have to get the dressing changed. It has been three days since the last one", Dr. Malik argued again, but Manik rolled his eyes at the mentor.

"Yes, exactly why I know its healing well, and it won't be infected. We can get the dressing done later", Manik answerer non chalantly, not really giving any head to the old man.

"I don't understand why are you so stubborn. I mean Palak instructed clearly about the post - op dressings, didn't she? But no you won't listen to anyone, like ever. Dr. Nandini is also on leave, or I would have asked her to convince you, and she would easily do it out of her guilt!", Dr. Malik's rant was stopped when Manik stopped playing with the paper weight all of a sudden, precisely at the mention of that one name.

It had been three days since Nandini was on leave, citing a personal reason, and it would be sufficient to say Manik indeed had been restless. The last time he had seen her she had impressed him with her amazing presence of mind by diagnosing the surgical tumor case accurately, but contrary to all his imaginations, Nandini had not blushed at his compliment, and rather had taken this sudden leave.

"Manik?", Dr. Malik's voice brought Manik out of his thoughts and he raised an eye at his mentor looking at him with a sly smile. Manik knew that look, so he raised his hands in surrender.

"No! Do not make more out of this, and do not try setting me up!", Manik shook his head at the chuckle that followed his otherwise supposedly strict statement. But before he could say something more, there was a soft knock on the door, and Nandini peaked inside asking for permission to enter.

Dr. Malik's face immediately brightened up as he ushered Nandini in, while Manik straightened up in his seat, playing with the buttons of his blazer, not looking at her at all.