6|| Surprises

Note : Because I was revising Psychiatry, I ended up writing a hurried but important chapter of this story.
Enjoy the treat.

We don't even ask for happiness, just a little less pain.
- Charles Bukowiski

Nandini had been amused a lot of times in her life but this was different. Manik was sitting on the chair, in the ward and rolling his eyes at the students.

Dr. Manik Malhotra was rolling his eyes?

A giggle left her as she watched him, making faces at the PGs, looking uber cute, and for those moments he didn't look like what she had made his image to be now, he looked like the guy she used to crush on an year ago.

A sigh left her as she thought about the same, she had spent the last two days thinking about him, well, not exactly about him and his dashingly handsome features, or his addictive voice or the way he played with the pen when he was thinking, but about him and that night when he came back shaking, or why did he find it important to attend a prisoner's execution, or why was Dr. Malik so defensive about him, or why did he look so drained out that night two days ago when she had passed his chamber while leaving?

"Seriously, you guys. You want to start this super cliche discussion? Love, seriously?", Manik's voice broke her thoughts and she was instantly back to smiling, at the way he cringed his nose.

"Ofcourse Sir. Mom says it's the best feeling in the world", Shweta immediately chuckled, followed by other students but Manik smirked at her and Nandini knew Shweta was going to get embarrassed pretty soon.

"Mom says? Or your crush of a lifetime Shah Rukh Khan says?", Manik teased back immediately, leaning forward in the chair as he entwined his fingers and looked at Shweta who was mortified. She immediately ducked her head as everyone began laughing harder.

(Aditi Dev Sharma as and In Shweta, a second year PG at Dept of Psychiatry, AIIMS, New Delhi)

Nandini joined in too. It was fun watching Manik interact with the residents as well as the patients, he always managed to make them relax and smile.

"Sir what's your favourite Love story?", another resident asked, excited and Manik laughed.

"What are all of yours?", he fired back and the group broke into hyperexcited chatter just like he expected. Nandini noticed and shook her head to herself. No doubt he was so good at his job.

"Veer-Zara" (movie- Veer Zara)

"Romeo-Juliet" (Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet)

"Aman and Naina"( movie- Kal ho na Ho)

"No, Rohit and Naina" (movie - Kal ho na Ho)