31|| The Bigger Picture

Surprise again?

Recap :

"What the fuck did you make me do all this months?", Manik asked directly, his hands fisted by his sides.

"Now, now Manik. Hi there. And to answer your question, I didn't make you do anything. You aren't a child"

Manik glared, trying to regulate his breathing and calm his anger down. He didn't want to say something he would regret for life. He had enough of those on his plate.

The woman in front of him closed the laptop and turned to face him with a smile, "About damn time".

--------

There is your version of events. There is my version of events. And then there is the bigger picture.

Manik Malhotra wasn't known as an impulsive guy, or as someone who thrived on rage. He had understood the way of the world pretty early, and not giving away your emotions away was his go to mantra, simply because he knew anybody could use it to their benefit and backstab you when you least expect it - ANY BODY. And yet, today as he stood, his eyes locked with the familiar brown eyes of the woman he had called a good friend for years, the wicked gleam in her eyes so bright, he knew without a doubt, he had fucked up. That knife was in his back, and he hadn't even realized it. No wonder the wound had turned infected - it had gone unnoticed way too long.

"I thought we were friends Simran", Manik's voice fell, even though the hard glare did not leave his eyes.

"Oh, we are. We definitely are", Simran chuckled, turning her back to him, something passing in her features that she schooled away from him.

"Then why would you do this to me?", Manik questioned this time, his gaze falling to the floor as his head reeling from all the information he was trying to process, but at that question, Simran turned to face him, crossed her arms against her chest and raised a brow, "And exactly what did I do to you?"

Now that had Manik's eyes jerking back up to meet Simran's eyes. She stood with a smug grin, her eyes filled with amusement and a hint of something he couldn't read.

"What did I do to you Manik Malhotra?", she egged him on, "I have been the 'good friend' I was supposed to be. What are you suddenly so angry about?", she blew air on her fingernails, her lips drawn up in a smirk.

"You told me I need to keep Nandini away from the case and not let it be re-opened again", Manik spoke through gritted teeth, "You knew that I liked her, had liked her since the first time I met her, and you still made me use her attraction to me as a bait to keep her away".

"Excuse me? Like I said before, What do you think you are, a child? I didn't 'make you' do anything. I gave you opinions and thoughts, you chose to act on them", Simran rolled her eyes as she answered.

"Yes because I trusted your opinions", Manik retorted, angrily, the vein in his temple throbbing as his temper increased, "You said dad had to pay millions to shut the case, and that the department and the hospital couldn't deal with negative press again. And that I already owe a lot to the man who I don't even want in my life for a second if it was on me. One mistake and a lot of others had to suffer the consequences, and nobody needed more on their plate just because Nandini was poking her nose in what wasn't even her business".

"All facts. Still hold true. What is your point exactly?", Simran shrugged, her entire demeanor too casual. She neither looked guilty, nor regretful.