7|| Flirting

''The truth is, I pretend to be a cynic, but in reality I am dreamer, who is terrified of wanting something she may never get" - Joanna Hoffman

"By God Mumma. I ate my lunch. Have dry fruits in my bag. And I am not dying due to exhaustion any time soon", Nandini exclaimed into her phone, and Meera and Dev who were sitting opposite her in the canteen, started laughing softly watching her dramatically roll her eyes. Nandini glared at them, but it had zero effect as they only laughed harder, even at the prospect of gaining attention from others.

Shaking her head, Nandini disconnected the phone and kept her head on the table, sighing.

"You know she bugs because she cares right?", Dev softly ruffled her hairs, and Nandini pouted as she sat straight.

"I know, but she needs to stop taking so much stress, especially just for my food habits", she shook her head, earning a chuckle from both Dev and Meera.

"But guys, I can't wait for the month to end, shifts to change so that I can work under Dr. Manik. Man, Nandini you are so damn lucky", Meera gushed, and Dev rolled his eyes at her, making Nandini giggle hard. He could never understand the obsession women in this hospital had with Dr. Manik.

Nandini had her own solemn moment at the mention of his name. Though it had been close to two weeks since she had joined, and she had fallen into a set routine, there were this instances when Manik still intrigued her. He was this mystery and she wanted to dug deeper into it, as and however possible.

"But Nandini", Meera huffed as she kept both her palms on the table, "How can you work with him, and not gush? He is such an eye candy plus he is so good natured!", Meera questioned, like she did everyday, and Nandini shook her head in fake annoyance to dodge the question.

"I toh love him, how can you not?", Meera gushed again, and the dreamy heart eyes she made aggrevated the entire fangirl effect. Nandini again rolled her eyes.

"Like seriously? You know nothing about him and you love him already?", Nandini laughed, trying to hide the slight flutter her heart did at the mention of the L word and Manik in the same sentence.

"So what? Haven't you heard about love at first sight? Also, I can always know him later", Meera defended, and Dev raised his eyebrows at her, while Nandini mirrored Dev's expression with a bit of annoyance reflecting in her eyes.

"No Meera, Love at first sight isn't actually love, okay? It's kind of an attraction, either to someone's physical features or their good nature, but love is a deeper emotion. You love someone means you accept their flaws with their strengths, and you cannot know about someone's flaws without actually knowing them. You are attracted to Dr. Manik, probably infatuated, but love? No baby", Nandini smiled, playing with the loose strand of her hair.

Meera pouted, knowing well that Nandini was cent percent right. But she also wasn't the type to give up that soon.

"So you mean to say you aren't even attracted to him?", Meera shot the question at her directly, and Nandini knew she could not dodge it again and again. Meera would bug her until she had her answer.

"I am. Attracted. But not to his features or his kindness. I am attracted to this certain serious brooding mysterious personality he maintains, I want to know what goes inside that brain which is ruling the field of psychiatry in India. I want to decode him, and I am aware he is a person and not a bomb, but like I said, his mystery draws me to him", Nandini answered, and that was exactly what went in head these days. She was a psychiatrist, it was her job to decode people and their thoughts, their inner feelings, but with Manik, she found herself incapable to even map the surface.