Chapter Eight

It was a relief to be out in the warm sun again after believing I may not see it in a while from the moment I boarded that dreaded bus on route to the auction. So far, Aiden had driven us down directly into the The Centre and he seemed to be leading us towards a specific shop he said he had some business at. I was sceptical as to why he had to bring me along. Last night he had seemed less than pleased that he had ever chosen me as his slave.

Maybe he'd ship me off to be somebody else's problem.

I wasn't entirely sure if I minded that or not.

Before we had left he had insisted I take another trip to see Marie, the nurse. She told me that my ankle was healing nicely but that it would have to be kept wrapped up for another week or so to ensure that it is supported whilst it heals. Aiden's mixed emotions were confusing me. One minute he was listening to his family insult me and not able to even look at me, and the next he is ensuring that I kept regular check-ups with the nurse, as if he cared.

Which I knew he didn't.

Suddenly, Aiden stoped walking down the crowded streets and turned to make his way into a small shop with odd knick-knacks showing in the display windows. I followed him silently, the reasons he had brought me here were still unknown, and this terrified me.

''Well, would you look at that. It's been a long time my friend, a long time.'' A croaky voice echoed around the enclosed space within the store and I scanned the room, attempting to find the source of the voice.

''I wouldn't go as far as saying that we are friends, Gertrude.'' Aiden's tone was bitter as I followed his gaze to the counter at the back of the store.

Behind it stood an old woman. Her clothes were dull coloured and frayed at the edges, as if she didn't get much business to her store and was running low on funds. Her face was covered in wrinkles, more than I had ever seen, and yet her eyes held a sense of youth and hidden knowledge. She had long grey hair, tied up in a low ponytail that fell to her waist. Her most surprising feature was her eyes, they were a shocking purple which made me uncomfortable and gave me the sense that not everything was as it seemed in this shop. Her sly smile confirmed this.

''Then why, my dear, do I have the pleasure of your presence on this wonderful morning?'' She fiddled around with the clutter on her desk as I took a look around and noticed how strange everything she was selling looked.

''I need you to do that tracking spell for me.'' Aiden moved towards her and she looked up at him, her eyebrow raised. ''You know, the spell I know you've been casting for my parents.'' Aiden placed his hands on her counter behind which she stood, and bent his head down to her level, leaning towards her menacingly.

My eyes widened at the realisation of what this old woman must be, a witch. I never thought I'd ever see one in person because they were few and far between these days. But, it made sense that there would at least be one living in The Centre.

Despite not being the target of Aiden's threat, my arms still broke out in goose bumps, the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. A simple human reaction I assumed, and it was horrible. I'd always thought that I'd been stronger than that.

''Impossible.'' She did not seem fazed by his threatening stance. The woman must have serious nerve to stand up to the vampire before her, I would have cheered her on but that may have been inappropriate so I kept my mouth firmly sealed.

''Now Gertrude, you shouldn't say 'no' to the prince, should you? You never know when he might snap.'' He slapped his hand on her counter, emphasising his point. I let out a surprised yelp as the countertop dented under his hand.