Chapter Fifteen

We headed towards the forest surrounding the house on foot. Myself and Rose walked silently behind the boys as they walked ahead of us, carrying the majority of the supply bags with them, which I was extremely happy about. The trees created a canopy above us, shielding us from the heat of the sun as we travelled deeper and deeper into the woods. I felt at peace for once as I settled in to the steady rhythm of my pace and immersed myself in the calming scent of the forest along with the chorus of bird song that echoed through the trees. This place really was beautiful; it was a shame that soon we would be entering dangerous territory with the constant threat of capture.

The rebels would surely take us away from the boys if they realised we were being used as slaves for their enemy. I couldn't quite understand my reasoning for not wanting to leave the vampires, and I was too frightened to believe the feelings I had.

So I denied them.

After a while of walking it dawned on me that I wasn't in any pain from any of the injuries I had sustained since arriving. Even my ankle was completely healed and not one spike of discomfort shot through me. I silently thanked Aiden for healing me, even if I had to swallow vampire blood for it to be possible.

''So, how are you fairing?'' Rose broke the silence as we continued.

''Despite the situation?'' I asked, glancing at her where she matched my pace beside me.

''Well, yeah. Sorry, stupid question.'' She gave a half-hearted laugh and looked down at the floor.

''I'm actually surprised at how this has all turned out, aren't you?'' I questioned, trying to carry on the conversation before it became uncomfortable.

''Sure, I mean at least neither of us is stuck with some freak who is obsessed with torturing like the Punishers.'' She grimaced, her eyes training on Josh's back for a moment before they returned to me.

''Well, yeah. And the fact that neither of us are dead yet is a plus, right?'' I smiled, noticing that Rose's eyes lacked their usual spark, like she had lost hope.

''Yeah.'' She mumbled.

''Rose, what's wrong?'' I asked, slowing so that we could drop back further from the two vampires walking ahead of us. It would be a break from the norm if we could actually have a private conversation without vampire ears listening in.

''Nothing.'' She stated, her voice betraying her as it shook.

''Seriously, Rose.'' I grabbed her hand, slowing her before she could speed up and put an end to my questions.

''I just...how can you be so upbeat when we're here? With them?'' She made a gesture towards Aiden and Josh who seemed to be chatting themselves, ignoring us.

''Because there's no point in being gloomy, it's not going to change things.'' I spoke, sounding desperate for her to feel the same way.

''Violetta, things couldn't get much worse. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm not happy.'' She sounded as if she was becoming angrier, not at me, but at this whole situation. I couldn't help but feel hurt by her words despite that.

''That's where you're wrong though! You were just saying yourself that we could have been with a much worse Master. Somebody who didn't provide us with clothes, food or even a bed-''

''We're stuck with the prince of all vampires and his best friend in the middle of a deserted forest heading towards a human camp to assist them with their plan to destroy them.'' She interrupted me, rushing her words, ''Is there any part of that that sounds even remotely good for us?''