Chapter Ten

I swiped at my cheeks, ridding them of the tear stains and tried to pull myself together as I overcame the initial shock of the entire morning so far. I couldn't believe it was only past lunch time and so much had happened already.

''I hope you didn't take what that girl said seriously.'' Aiden glanced at me where I sat beside him in his car.

''Not really, it was just unexpected to say the least.'' I sniffled pathetically and yet again wished that I wasn't such a hopeless wimp.

''I've spoken to her before and there is no way that she would ever stand a chance with me, I can tell you that much.'' He joked light-heartedly, trying to break the tension that had arisen.

''Good to know.'' I tried to laugh but it came out sounding breathless and nervous.

''Just relax; she shouldn't mess with you again. But remember that if you do get in trouble like that then all you need to do is scream and if I'm near I won't hesitate to help you. You're my responsibility after all.'' Aiden smiled warmly for the first time since I'd met him. I couldn't stop myself from sending a small, genuine smile his way at his kind words.

His constant change of emotions was troubling at the least; it was sending my own into utter confusion. One minute he is hurting me emotionally, the next he is protecting me and trying to help me, showing he cares.

Why do guys have to be so complicated?

He parked next to the same dirt drive that led up to the High Royals mansion and we both proceeded to get out. I took some calming breaths as we made our way towards the building and hoped that I didn't look like I'd had another breakdown. Lord knows how many of them I'd had recently.

The foyer was empty when we entered and Aiden muttered a goodbye before heading off to give the map to his parents, I guessed. I stood for a few moments and sorted through my jumbled thoughts. My throat felt bruised and Aiden had mentioned in the car that I should head over to the nurse again so I decided that would be my first port of call.

I followed the hallways until I reached Marie's room and knocked gently. She shouted for me to enter so I pushed on the door and she smiled up at me from where she sat at her computer.

''Back again so soon?'' She asked softly, her greying hair was pulled back in a short ponytail today.

''Yeah, there was an incident this morning which kind of led to me being strangled.'' I tried to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal but she rushed to take a look, her eyes filled with concern.

''A vampire, I presume?'' She asked, prodding at my neck and turning my head from side to side, which made me flinch.

''Yeah.'' I didn't want to make a fuss because I was pretty sure the waitress got all the punishment she needed from Aiden. I should think that if your neck gets snapped it's got to hurt pretty bad.

Marie searched her drawers around the room for some cream that she applied to the sore areas and told me that the bruising would most probably be very noticeable. But, she said that if I continued to apply the cream it should be less sensitive and take a shorter period of time to heal. It wasn't the news I wanted to here, but hopefully the wound would clean up fast.

Before I left she quickly checked my ankle again, which I had completely forgotten about, being used to the dull ache that was constantly there. She ushered me out of the room, the cream in my hand, and told me that I shouldn't mention the vampire to the other slaves as she wasn't sure how they would react. I completely agreed with her there, no need for me to be any more cause for centre of attention.