Chapter Nine

We parked outside a diner with a pastel coloured theme to its walls. It looked out of place in the midst of the vampire city, especially with the stereotypical vampire theme being dark and dreary. It brought a sense of calm to the area, and soothing normality.

Aiden opened his door and swiftly exited, only to appear outside the passenger side door, opening it and giving me a lopsided smile as I stepped out, still wobbly, ''Welcome to my favourite diner in town, Ma Cherie.'' I rolled my eyes at him, still feeling tired after the events in the witch's unusual store. I also hadn't forgiven his actions or trade.

I noticed that the diner looked crowded and realised that all of the customers would most likely be vampires. It then dawned on me that we were going to be the centre of attention considering a human slave was with the prince on what looked like a casual lunch. It was rare for a vampire to treat their slave to an outing like this one.

The thought had butterflies fluttering in my stomach and I began to wonder if I would be able to keep any food down. The overwhelming morning I'd had did not contribute to my health in any way either.

''How are you feeling?'' Aiden asked as we walked towards the entrance.

''Better. You could've told me that she was going to start draining my blood.'' I couldn't keep myself from sounding annoyed even if I wanted to seem cool and collected around him.

''Well, you were a sort of...bargaining chip. I wasn't sure I would have to use you to get her to help.'' He sounded nonchalant as he opened the door that led to the diner and entered before me.

I couldn't be bothered to answer, he was such a douchebag. I couldn't exactly say that to his face but I could certainly think it.

The space inside held the same cheery nature as was displayed on the exterior, using the same pastel colours and decorated with several retro art designs and pictures spaced on the walls. The tables were old-school and most were filled. This place seemed to be doing well, unlike Gertrude's strange shop.

''Your Highness, welcome!'' A shrill voice could be heard over the chatter of the other customers as a petite girl approached wearing a colourful uniform. The sudden exclamation from her caused the other vampires in the room to quieten down and turn their attention to the prince and myself.

''Table for two.'' Aiden stated, showing little interest in the girl before him who seemed to be edging closer. I was surprised he didn't just barge right on past.

''Sure thing! Right this way.'' If she noticed his disinterest then she didn't make any indication to show she cared. Probably made her day seeing the Prince in the flesh, poor girl.

She led us towards a small, empty table with a window view. The view was of a small park with children running around and beautiful flowers scattered across the open space. A fountain was flowing directly opposite from the café, set in the middle of the grassy field that was busy with families. I suspected they were mostly vampires, if not all. There could be the odd human nanny dotted around but I didn't have the energy to pick them out from the crowd.

''Here're your menu's. Take your time choosing.'' She leaned over Aiden where he had taken his seat opposite of me and placed a menu before him before thrusting one roughly into my hands.

''Thanks.'' I muttered sarcastically which earned me a dirty look from the girl as she walked away. Even though I'd disrespected her, she certainly wouldn't start beating on the prince's belongings.

I read through the menu which held a wide selection of dishes and drinks, with the expected choice of blood type for the vampires. I felt my face twist into an expression of disgust as I read the different selections adapted to the vampire preferences.