Chapter Twenty-Two

I couldn't control my tears as they fell free and trailed down my cheeks. Nothing could have prepared me for the moment I would lay eyes upon my father once again. My emotions were uncontrollable, my heart beating as fast as a hummingbird's wings.

''Dad?'' My voice came out choked and raspy, one of my hands frantically swiping away at my damp face.

My father hadn't noticed me until that moment, his head snapping up in my direction at my voice, as it echoed all around us. His serious expression dissolved as his eyes softened, ''Violetta.''

Everything around me disappeared as I rushed over to him, throwing my arms around his firm body. His scent hadn't changed, it assaulted me and my muscles relaxed in response. I sobbed into his shoulder, soaking his shirt, but he didn't seem to mind.

''I've missed you so much,'' I pulled back, staring into his eyes that reflected my own, ''Mum's missed you so much.''

He stared at me; his eyes frantically searching my face, before he hugged me close once again. His arms were as tight as my own, but I felt no pain, only warmth.

''What's this, Jerry?'' The woman's shrill voice was curious.

Her interest didn't faze me. I was too distracted by the strong feelings of relief and desperation that were assaulting me. My arms were tightening around my father's neck, as if any loss of contact would mean he would disappear again.

''Why are you here, Violetta?'' My father's voice was quiet, meant only for me to hear. It held a note of sadness as well as worry, and tears continued to stream and fall in a response.

I kept silent, not knowing how much to reveal. It would be impossible for me to hide the true reason behind my arrival here. He was my dad after all. There was nothing more I wanted in that moment than for him to whisk me away and rid me of all my worries. We could go back to Mum and live like a happy family again.

''Jerry?'' The woman's voice sliced through our moment once again, annoyance bubbling up inside of me.

Dad pulled away, glancing up at the woman and Aron, ''This is my daughter, Violetta. Violet, these are my partners, Lana and Aron.'' His formal introductions were awkward, and I wanted nothing more than to be left alone with him to catch up.

''Your daughter!? Oh, how amazing!'' Aron exclaimed, rushing towards us and tugging me away from my father, ''Why, aren't you beautiful!'' His loud voice was startling.

I grabbed for my dad's hand, knowing that it was childish to do so, but still seeking the reassurance his touch offered. The empty space left behind due to his departure was less painful now that I knew he was safe. The uncertainty of his whereabouts before was excruciating to experience, my own future feeling more stable in his presence.

He squeezed my hand, ''I'm sure you and your friends could use a good night's sleep. Why don't I show you to some rooms?'' My father's warm gaze travelled over my three companions, their expressions a mixture of confusion and surprise.

''That would be great.'' I spoke, smiling widely.

''No tests?'' Lana's voice was flat, as she still was perched on one of the chairs above the raised platform.

''Not for these four, if Violet trusts her friends, then I believe we should too.'' Dad's face brightened into a smile, wrinkles appearing around his eyes that held many of the positive memories we had shared.

Lana scoffed, standing briskly and leaving the room. I paid little attention to her actions, my thoughts focused on the fact that my father trusted my judgement.