Chapter Twelve

Millie rushed out of the room, following her brother who could be heard as there were a series of smashing noises coming from above us. I was instantly nervous as to what was being broken and hoped that no slaves got in the way of Aiden when he left.

''He never did learn to control his temper.'' Josh muttered and I just stared blankly at him, wondering how he could be so relaxed when Aiden was storming around the house, ''Can we be excused? I think we should go and see what he's wrecking up there.''

The Queen nodded, having not really reacted towards her son's temper tantrum. I guessed he must lose his temper a lot.

''Violet, you're coming with me.'' I guessed that he was going to escort me to the slave quarters and then go on to help Millie with Aiden. I wasn't entirely sure if that was a relief or whether I was curious to see how and why Aiden was reacting in this way.

Josh and I both stood and exited the dining room, leaving our food half-eaten. I followed Josh, the sounds of destruction becoming louder as we neared the stairs. Josh began ascending them and I stood awkwardly for a moment, wondering if I was supposed to follow or go downstairs to safety.

''Come on, Violet. You won't want to miss this.'' Josh's encouragement sounded more like a command so I thought it best to follow him. As we entered the hallway that led to the bedrooms of the High Royals, the sounds of destruction became even louder. The walls around us even seemed to shake on their foundations.

''For God's sake, Millie! Leave me alone!'' We heard Aiden growl as we approached what I assumed was Aiden's bedroom door. It was closed so I could not see inside.

''Why have you brought me up here? Isn't it dangerous?'' I whispered as we heard the siblings within the room continue to squabble. Every now and then something would shatter or a thump would sound.

''Look, Aiden obviously has formed an attachment to you of some kind and he's angry that he has to take you with us to be his blood bag.'' Josh said matter-of-factly, ''So it's logical to think you're going to be the only person who can calm him down.''

I was immediately annoyed that yet another person suggested that Aiden liked me more than just a slave. Then I became interested. I had thought the reason Aiden had stormed off was because he wanted to destroy the rebels and not sneak around them. In fact, I was adamant that Josh was wrong.

''How did you get that from what happened? He didn't mention anything about me, he just said he'd rather fight them head on than sneak around in their camp.'' My tone was harsher than I intended but I couldn't help it.

''You're so naïve! Yeah, okay, he was annoyed before you were mentioned but it was after that was suggested that he blew up.'' Josh's face showed signs of impatience but I didn't care.

He was wrong.

''Millie, just piss off!'' Aiden's shouting cut through our conversation and Josh whipped his head around as something heavy crashed into the wall separating us from them.

Josh promptly pushed open the door to reveal Aiden stood amongst his belongings that were all strewn around the spacious room, some damaged due to the vampire's rage. His eyes were still eclipsed in red and his fangs were bared towards his sister. It didn't take long for us to realise that it was Millie we had heard crashing into the wall as she was sprawled out below a crack in the blue plaster, her face like thunder aimed at Aiden.

''How dare you throw me like that! I'm trying to help you.'' Millie sounded desperate and extremely upset as she stood from her previous position to face him again. I was grateful that my natural reaction to run over and check that she was okay hadn't kicked in, there was no way to know how Aiden would have reacted to that sudden movement.