Chapter Twenty-Nine

At first I believed that Silvia had collapsed and Aiden had rushed over to support her. That was until I saw the spark of red ignite in his eyes and the flash of animalistic fangs as they lengthened. He bent his head towards her exposed throat, his eyes darting to me where I struggled in Josh's hold. Rose was on his other side, neither of us having any success in releasing ourselves from the vampire's grip.

I froze, his gaze paralysing me. It was in that moment that the truth of the situation dawned on me. Aiden hadn't fed; he'd never once asked me for my blood despite that being the only reason he'd bought me on this trip. It was quite chivalrous really, protective even. But, he was about to expose himself for what he truly was in the centre of a rebel camp.

''Aiden don't.'' I screamed as his eyes fixed on Silvia's pale skin, he didn't even react to my words, my struggles against Josh beginning again in desperation. It didn't even concern me that I was causing a scene, my first and only concern was for Aiden.

''Violet, you can't stop him, he's on the verge of starvation.'' Josh tried to reason, his hand gripping me so tightly that I was sure bruises had already begun to form, ''Not even I'm strong enough to now, your argument must have pushed him over the edge.''

I knew deep down that I should want him exposed. After all, the fall of the Prince would've been the first step in a revolution for the humans. But, it wasn't the bond between Master and Slave that wanted him to stop, it was an unexplainable emotion that I was ashamed of, but I couldn't deny it.

In that moment, Aiden struck.

Mid-lunge his body jolted before he stood deathly still. A moment later, his eyes met mine, filled with shock and dread as the scarlet colour faded from within, the threat of his fangs disappearing also. Confusion swamped me as he dropped Silvia, but she didn't fall to the ground.

Instead, she caught herself, twisting into an upright position and revealed a gun in her hand, pointed directly at Josh. ''Finally you show yourselves for what you truly are.'' Her voice was proud, her lips twisted up into a triumphant grin.

Then she pulled the trigger.

Everything had happened so fast, I didn't even know how to react as I watched both Aiden and Josh's bodies stagger and drop to the ground. It took a moment for everything to register, and I knew Rose was feeling the same as neither of us had moved an inch.

It was her who reacted first, ''Violet, get out!'' I wasn't sure how she supposed I did that considering Silvia was blocking the way, and still had the weapon held firmly in her grip. Strangely, my mind was working extremely slowly; everything happening around me was like a film playing out.

I didn't have time to try to regain my composure as Silvia shouted behind her, immediately after which a flood of rebels streamed in. Each of them held their own weapons, ranging from knives to blunt contraptions. My eyes widened as the men who had entered the room surveyed the scene.

One of them spoke up in a deep, unfamiliar voice, ''They're out cold. Grab the girls.''

Those were the last words spoken before two men advanced on Rose and me, weapons pointed at us. There was no time to beg for mercy or put my newfound skills to the test as a sharp pain erupted in my arm, closely followed by the cool flow of liquid entering my bloodstream.

The strange sensation was lost as darkness stole me.

-*-*-*-

The first feeling that came back to me was coldness. It made me shiver straight through to my bones. I could feel goose bumps erupt on my skin next, the hairs then standing on end on both my arms and neck. Next came the ache of my muscles, the stiffness of my joints that felt heavy surrounding me.