Chapter Eighteen

None of us mentioned the events of the morning, and I refused to acknowledge them as I set out to cook myself and Rose what would now be considered lunch. Determined to prove to Aiden that I could be independent, and to Rose that I cared for her, I retrieved the lighter and relit the fire to then sort through some of the basic ingredients we had with us. I threw together a random concoction that I wasn't even sure would be edible; it turned out to be tasteless, but filling.

It was as I was finishing up eating that I tuned into Josh's conversation with Aiden.

''We should think about preparing this,'' Josh held up the vial of liquid Gertrude had provided them with.

''Yeah, have you figured out the old woman's instructions yet?'' Aiden prodded the fire with a long stick, staring into the flames.

I watched them from where I was perched on the log beside theirs. Rose sat beside me, her arms wrapped securely around herself as if she were trying to hold herself together. Some colour had returned to her cheeks, but her eyes were dark, the skin beneath them appearing bruised from exhaustion.

A feeling of despair overwhelmed me when I looked at her, I didn't know if it was because I felt sympathy for her, or whether I was selfishly awaiting the inevitable pain I would feel when Aiden decided his appetite had returned.

''It says something about heating it, the usual I guess.'' I tore my eyes away from Rose, returning to settle on Josh who had spoken.

I didn't know much in the way of witchcraft, no humans really did. It was a well-kept secret, and witches were a rare species, so there wasn't much need to learn about them. My interest in the tiny vial filled with luminous liquid had piqued though. How would it affect the boys? Would they change completely?

I decided to ask.

''What's it going to do to you? Besides disguise you I mean.'' My words caused both of the boys to snap their heads in my direction, obviously surprised that I had spoken.

Aiden leaned forward, ''It won't do anything drastic, if that's what you're implying.''

I shook my head, ''No, I'm just curious.'' I met his steady gaze, my hands clasped together in my lap.

''We'll still have all of our vampire traits, it supposedly changes our appearance. If it works, that is.'' His eyes returned to the fire and I praised myself for not being the first to look away for once, ''I wouldn't put it past that witch to toy with us though.''

''Don't be stupid, Aiden. You know what your parents would do to Gertrude if she mucked this up.'' Josh had a playful smile lighting his features, despite the dark meaning behind his words.

''Yeah, yeah. Doesn't mean I trust her.'' Aiden muttered, throwing the stick that he had been fiddling with onto the fire, ''Why don't you two get packed up, we'll be leaving soon.'' He remained seated, not making any move to help or giving any indication that he really cared what we did.

''Sure.'' I muttered, standing and making my way towards the tent to start gathering up my things.

It was beginning to annoy me how commandeering he was. I knew that he was my Master and it came with the role, but I had felt something else between us on the way back to the camp earlier. It was as if he had been genuinely interested in learning about me, and now his attitude had snapped back to the controlling vampire I had grown to know him as.

I shouldn't even care; he was not going to change for a human.

When Rose and I had finished packing up our belongings, the boys began to take down the tent and gather the rest of the items. It wasn't long before we had everything in order and were preparing to begin walking again. I was anticipating the run ahead of us, nerves were eating away at me, but at the same time there was a sense of excitement. I couldn't wait to feel the thrill of vampire speed; it looked both invigorating and frightening.