Chapter Twenty-Three

Rose stood and opened the door, allowing Aiden and Josh push their way in to room. Aiden walked straight towards the bed, his expression serious as he sat next to me and searched my face.

''Did you know your father was here?'' His voice was stern and accusing. It was as if he thought I had come with them knowingly, planning to put them in danger. As if I had led them straight to the enemy.

''I had no idea.'' I muttered, my voice low as a sudden wave of exhaustion hit me. It was extremely tiring to be questioned, I didn't think I had to strength to face the accusations anymore.

Josh and Rose stood silently watching us, Josh with his arms crossed over his chest and his eyebrows pulled together.

''You didn't know that your dad was alive?'' Aiden seemed angry, but I was too tired to care.

My eyes drooped and I let my head fall into my hands. There was no point in answering him now, he wouldn't believe me. I had never mentioned my father or his missing status, and hardly mentioning any aspects of my family to Aiden was most likely suspicious. I just hadn't had the chance, or the care to.

''Aiden, I don't think she knew.'' Rose spoke up, defending me.

''How can I trust you-'' Aiden began, but was interrupted as Josh raised his voice, speaking over him.

''Aiden, this is not the time to start your questioning. Violet looks dead on her feet, we should let her sleep.'' I felt my attitude towards Josh soften as he practically voiced my own thoughts.

I was surprised when Aiden didn't rebuke him for his harsh tone, ''Fine, but you need to eat before you head to bed.'' With his last words, he stood and hastily exited the room.

I looked up as he left, and watched Josh's eyes roll at Aiden's childish behaviour, ''We'll see you later, I guess.''

After Josh followed Aiden out, Rose closed the door and once again sat beside me, ''We should probably go eat, I don't want to find out what Aiden would do here if he got angry.'' She was slouched in her sitting position, the dark bags beneath her eyes becoming more and more noticeable.

I groaned, sitting up as my muscles protested with dull pain. Stretching, I stood and followed Rose out of the room, my feet dragging along the stone floor.

''Do you know where we're going?'' I asked groggily, combing my fingers through the tangled mess of my hair. I hadn't considered that the happiness of seeing my father alive would be ruined by all of the problems it caused.

''No idea.'' Rose continued until we eventually came to a large opening filled with people each seated at stone tables. There were no furnishings in the space, simply another cavern lit by torches that lined the walls. There seemed to be a long table at the side of the room that held a variety of foods, such as fruits and even some sandwiches.

My mouth watered as we approached the table, both of us grabbing paper plates which we immediately began to pile with food. It was strange to see such poor canteen conditions, with plastic cutlery and paper cups, when this assortment of foods was on display. With the high-tech doors that were dotted around, I would've guessed that the rest of the cave held other forms of this technology.

''This food almost makes the journey seem worthwhile. Is it bad that this is the first time I've felt safe since the auction?'' Rose smirked, leading us to an empty table as those around us began to stare.

I shifted uncomfortably as we sat, though as soon as the first slice of pizza touched my lips I relaxed, ''No, this feels great.''

I silently observed the people around me as we ate; spotting a few familiar faces that had earlier been outside. At first, I didn't see my father in the corner of the room speaking with the other leaders, but when I finally laid eyes on him, the comforting feeling of familiarity returned.