~ Family Tree ~

The snow was falling lightly on the already white covered ground. It was cold, too cold for everyone here.

Our feet padded on the snow as we made our way up the small hill to a clearing that Alaric had found. When I saw it I knew it wasn't for the first time. It was the same one from my dreams.

I held point: Clair on my right flank, Alaric on my left. Lexi, April, and Rayne taking up space behind us. And behind them? Three-quarters of the Olympian army stood stone faced.

Every one of them had shown up last night. The rest of the army, however, was still back on Olympus. No one knew if they were okay, and no one could get a through to anyone there.

My mother, father, brother, Angelic, and Tatum were of the few left on Olympus. We needed them here but we also didn't know if they were even alive.

He had killed her. Hades had killed sweet Rose, and my mother. I would kill him in turn. And kill anyone who stood in my way.

My boots were clumped with snow and I reached over to take Clair's hand. Alaric's stood close to my side, the raven ready to tear eyes out.

I hadn't spoken since I felt Rose's life slip through my fingers. When I was asked what to do I simply nodded or pointed at Alaric. I could tell he felt it too.

I squeezed Clair's hand. No one else important to me would die.

Rayne had been out flying with a small girl training before we left for battle. It had gone well for the most part, but I almost broke apart when she screamed putting those wings away for the first time.

"Elijah?" I asked Alaric, my first word in hours.

He simply shook his head.

Footsteps sounded on the other side of the clearing. The trees seemed to move as one by one, people emerged. I had to watch for black eyes.

We were out numbered.

A cloak covered figure emerged from the crowd, a hood covering his face.

"I should have known it would be you, Marielle," Hades said. His voice was grainy, carrying over the clearing like bat wings.

"You killed her," I snarled voice quiet but I knew he heard me.

"She needed to die," he said simply, his head tilting up so I could see a grin under his hood.

"And what about Miranda? Huh? How was she a threat to you?" I stepped ahead challenging him as my hands began to glow white hot.

He cocked his head to the other side. "She was just annoying from the start."

Confusion rocked me back.

"You don't recognize me do you?" he ticked his tongue against white teeth. "I guess it has been a long time hasn't it?"

I raised my chin defiantly at him. Slowly he raised both long fingered hands up to either side of his hood, gripping it tightly. His head tipped down and all I could see was dark brown hair.

I gasp fell from Rayne's mouth and I turned to watch her fall to her knees, hands clasped over her mouth. Fear on her face.

I followed her gaze back and nausea hit me like a tidal wave.

John.

Miranda's husband who had disappeared, the man who had raised me was standing on the other end of the clearing.

A quiet "no" left my mouth.

"Mari?" Alaric looked between Rayne and I. But when his eyes landed on Clair he was even more confused. Clair knew John, he was supposedly her uncle after all.