~ Tectonic Plates ~

"She really said that?" I laughed with Clair as we waited for Lexi to meet us out in front of Clairs SUV Friday afternoon.

"Yup," Clair laughed back. "Which she's not wrong about the first part." Clair waggled her eye brows at me. 

Apparently, Lexi had thought my encounter with Elijah at the pier the other night was a tad bit intense, weird and unhealthy. The unhealthy part of it would be seeming true to outsiders but to everyone on the inside it would seem like Elijah and I were finally acting like a normal mated pair. All sexual tension and wrapped up in each other like nothing else was possible. 

But Elijah and I were still working things through. He was still distant with me for the most part. Probably because of all these new urges hitting him like truck after truck of unwanted hits. He had never had to deal with this before, in fact, he had spent the last several centuries believing him and Alaric were completely alone in this world with no one coming for them. 

Solitude wanderer's forever. 

So when I came along it must have been very wrong in that brain of his, even when I could feel the rest of his body clawing at me from under his skin every time we were near. I would take every explosion of those claiming urges within my own body, but I wouldn't stop them when they overpowered him. I had to let him come to me. 

"It did get a little intense didn't it?" I asked looking over to her. 

Clair gave me one of the looks. "Alaric and I can practically smell the intense on you two." 

I cringed.

"We have something we got to tell you," I said to Lexi when we had all gotten back to the lake house after school. This would be Lexi's first time out at the lake house and for good reason. 

I hated to do this so soon, hated it. But we were going to run out of time, and I needed four people at my back not just Clair. 

If this went well then I would be one step closer to ending all of this, but if it went badly Alaric would take the memories of us from her head and we would be all the way back at square one. 

"Well and to ask you," Clair said from behind me as we stepped through the front door. She rubbed her hands over the sleeves of her jacket trying to warm her arms. 

Lexi gave us a look with one eyebrow arched high before continuing into the house. 

We had spent the week getting to know Lexi better.  I had pushed Alaric as far as I could with this but I was at the end of my leash. 

"Okay," Lexi finally said plopping down onto the couch. She pulled out her phone, not quite gaging the seriousness of the situation but when Elijah entered the room it slid back into her pocket. Something about him freaked her out. I imagine he freaked out the best of people with that face of his. Hauntingly beautiful. 

"It's a long story," Elijah said coming to sit beside me on the couch. His arm went around my shoulders, instinct taking over in my proximity. 

"I got all night," Lexi said shrugging. She eased back into the couch and crossed her arms over her chest. A fake yawn came from her mouth and then a real one right after. Karma. 

Elijah started off the same way he did with Clair. But I could tell this wasn't going to work the moment he started. Lexi was a visual believer. Clair was easy, she trusted me entirely. Not Lexi. 

"Ijah," said quietly, my breath hitting his chin. He froze instantly, glancing down at me, green eyes going dark. 

Yes? he said, a rumble going through my head. I placed a hand on his stomach.