~ Locker ~

It was Wednesday; two days after the first day of school and two days after my Elijah induced break down. There had been a sort of truce from the moment on between us. He cared for me in a way I didn't understand, a different way than I cared for him.

He cared. I guess that's all that mattered.

Alaric had driven us to school today, mostly because Elijah was at Miranda's late last night helping Rayne put up the new curtains she got for her room. And the new lights, new bed frame, and the new desk. I knew once Rayne had asked him he wouldn't be able to say no. She always could manipulate people like that, into doing her bidding. No surprise Elijah fell right into her hands.

It eased my head a little knowing that Elijah had worked his way into my family's good graces.

First class went by like nails on a chalkboard. English made me want to pull all the hair out of my head. After the bell rang to go to second class I took my sweet time in the English room and then slipped into the bathroom to wait a while.

This was how I cleverly avoided Jake. By being late every day for every class. It was even worth all the trouble I got.

The hallway was empty by the time I got to my locker and when I opened it I felt my heart leap into my throat.

"What are you doing?" I half yelled.

"Hiding," Clair said with a glare.

"Why are you hiding? And why in my locker?" I yelled at her. 

"There's this really annoying eighth grader," she exclaimed.

"Aren't they all annoying?"

"This one's worse," she snapped. 

"Just tell him you have a boyfriend or something," I said shrugging. I began to switch out my books. 

"Oh jeeze, why didn't I think of that?" she said in a mocking tone. "Oh that's right, I did!"

I glared at her. "Well, what did he say?"

"Who is he," she said.

"And you said?..."

"Just a guy," she shrugged and I knew instantly she was lying.

"What did you actually say," I accused crossing my arms.

She mumbled something inaudible and I raised an eyebrow waiting for her to repeat it.

"Alaric," she said recoiling.

I spit.

Oh god, I tried to not laugh but I couldn't help it.

"He wants proof," she said flatly ignoring my probably red face.

I laughed even more, my stomach hurt.

"You're not helping," she snapped, attempting to cross her arms in the tiny space.

"I'm sorry," I breathed. "But out of all people, you picked Alaric?"

She raised an eye brow, "who else could I have said!"

"You can't stand Alaric," I pointed out, ignoring her.

"That's not true. I take great joy in making his life miserable. It is him who can't stand me," she mocked.

I rolled my eyes, "so what are you going to do?"

"I have an idea," she paused, "but it requires a tetanus shot and some heavy sterilization."

"I don't want to know," I said putting my hands up in surrender.

Footsteps sounded from around the corner.