Fireworks

"Alaric, wait!" I called not even fully through the patio door, "I need to talk to you before Elijah gets back."

My t-shirt was shredded in the back and the skin there still throbbed uncontrollably. It hadn't taken me as long as I thought to get the wings back under my skin, and as soon as I could move, I was running back toward the house - shredded t-shirt and everything.

"That was fast," Alaric, replied looking at his watch and then taking a sip of coffee. "You sure you're done? I only heard minimal screaming?" he said staring back at the magazine he had laid out on the counter.

A snarl crawled out of my mouth like an unwanted roach. "Would you shut up for once in your miserable life and just listen!"

His gaze snapped around, like an owl atop a fence post. "I don't really care to listen to anything you say really," he snapped back returning his gaze to the magazine. He stared at it for a moment before shoving back his chair and making his way out of the kitchen.

"What the hell is your problem?" I yelled making him stop and turn. "Don't think I haven't noticed the extra effort you have been putting in to be a dick. What did I even do?" I snapped, teeth gnashing. He just stared at me, unmoving. "I don't give a shit anymore," I spun heading back out the way I came and waving a dismissive hand in his direction.

A cool hand was on my arm in an instant.

"Mari, wait," he started.

"If you have something to say you better say it now, because two can play the 'pissed off' game and I am pretty sure I am better at it," I spat sneering at him out of the corner of my eye.

"Tell me what you wanted to talk about," he said voice softer. I turned to face him to see his eyes pleading with me. His hand wasn't cool anymore, it was scorching, marking into my skin.

"What did I do, Alaric?" I asked completely ignoring his pleading.

A breath left his throat. "It's not you I am upset with." His hand ran up my arm ever so slowly, his fingers trailing white lines of heat over my skin. "I have been wrong to take it out on you."

I had to look away from his gaze, fearful the grey swirling would drag me under. I nodded, swallowing around the lump in my throat. I looked up at him as his thumb traced my cheekbone.

"Good because Elijah's home," he said nodding to the door without breaking his gaze. Soon, I too could hear the crunch of gravel under tires.

I drove on the way back to my house, and I had decided on Alaric's fancy rental truck instead of my trashcan on wheels. He was hesitant at first but, eventually, I annoyed him into compliance. Of course, he had to sit in the passenger seat, and Elijah in the back. The drive was mostly quiet, not even a word from Alaric about my terrible driving.

When we drove into the yard, I couldn't miss Clair's car parked in front of the house. A grin broke over my face as I pulled up beside it, I was out of the door in the next second, leaving Alaric to cut the engine.

I was up the steps and through the front door in a matter of seconds. Mom was waiting, and I crushed her to my chest, hugging her quickly before dashing down the stairs to where I knew they would be waiting.

I could smell them, giggling down the hall. I burst through Rayne's door and tackled them both. Rayne choked as my arm hit her throat and Clair let out a squeal of joy.