Silent Defiance

"I'm confused," I said flatly as Elijah led me into a little side room.

"About what?" he asked looking at me over his shoulder as he closed the door.

"What am I doing now?" I said finally feeling nausea falling away now that we were alone.

Elijah dropped his head. "I must apologize for springing all this on you. I know this has all been a little much. But it's tradition for a display of gifts after the first seal is cracked at age 10.

"You never went through that," he said stepping up to me. "Your seal was completely opened a couple of weeks ago when Alaric and I came to you. Your parents wish to see your display of gifts now."

The look on his face made my head drop. "They are not my parents," I said flatly before turning my face up to his. "Parents are the people who raise you. Miranda and John are my parents. Amara and Atticus are the people who gave Rayne and me our DNA and then abandoned us."

Elijah's face was blank as he watched me. He didn't argue with me about it which I was grateful for, but he raised a hand to my cheek anyway.

"I will do it," I said as he pulled me into his chest.

I felt him smile into my hair. "I know."

After a moment, he stepped away from me. "Your clothes should work with your gifts. Disappear with the coming of scales and reappear when needed." He touched my shoulder, spinning the strap of my tank top back over so it lay flat against my skin. I nodded up at him not needing the explanation.

Alaric had been busy regarding my clothing. Since no one knew on my status, he was stuck playing fashion designer by himself. Combining all four sectors was getting increasingly difficult.

Elijah led me through another door that opened up onto a massive expanse of black polished tiles. It was a circular room, expansive and big enough for a fancy NHL hockey game at home. There was a glass wall a few feet up and rows of seats lined all the way around.

People were already filling the seats...

I swallowed and spun to face Elijah. He noticed the panic on my face just as the door behind him pushed open and Alaric burst through. Elijah's teeth were clamped together, and Alaric looked like he was going to spit fire at any moment.

"Are all these people here to watch me?" I whispered with the panic coming clear through my voice.

Alaric scrubbed a hand over his face. "Amara and Atticus are a little theatrical. They want to show you off."

I clenched my teeth together and flashed Elijah a look. He nodded knowing just how agitated I was. "I'll go see what I can do," Elijah said and then slipped out the door.

I wrapped my arms around myself. "There isn't usually this many people, is there?"

"Depends on who the person is. Your case is different," Alaric said standing beside me and crossing his arms. "You were sent away as a baby, your seal was broke weeks ago, you're going to be of age in a couple of days, Amara and Atticus are on the council, and they both have exceptional abilities. You are going to be something to watch for."

"But what if I'm too much? What if I fuck up? I'm not ready Alaric," I choked looking up at him with terror surely on my face.

He gripped my shoulders and shook me lightly. "You can do this," he said before pulling me into his chest. "Just stay calm. You haven't messed up at home and you won't here okay? You'll be fine."