Void

"It's not a 'for sure' thing though, right?" I asked eyes wide, forehead sweating. "That's not going to happen tonight," I said with having it sound more like a question.

A crowbar flashed in my peripheral.

"No, it doesn't, but it can be difficult to control the urges. And whoever the bond ties you to should respect that," he said lifting my chin to meet his gaze. His grey eyes gleamed more than usual like he was watching that crowbar swing at my back from behind my eyes.

"I have seen the bond snap in too many times, and every time it is the same. It hurts to watch, but they always look so happy," Alaric said trying to ease my racing heart.

He dropped his hand from my face, his lips pressing into a tight line. "I better be going," he said setting his hands on his knees. He wouldn't look at my face as he stood as if he couldn't. I stood along with him, barely noticing I had. Our faces were inches apart, breath catching in both of our throats. All he would have to do was dip his head ever so slightly, and his mouth would be on mine.

Alaric swallowed.

"Don't go," I said before I knew what I was saying - what I was asking.

He stepped back, "Mari, I should go," he said. "You will regret whatever it is you are about to do."

"What do you mean?" I said reaching to grab his hand, stopping him from moving back.

"Mare, there is no way," he paused struggling for the right words. His arms grabbed my shoulders, shaking me lightly. "Mare... after tonight I will explain," he huffed, hands sliding off my shoulders, leaving fiery trails down my arms.

My mind rolled in confusion. "Alaric please," I asked. "What is it?" I could see the fight he was having with himself behind those moon-glazed eyes.

"Mare, you will not be partnered with me tonight. So, don't waste your time," and with that, he turned. I watched him walk away through the crowd as my heart began to ache. I just stood there for a long while, my hand still outstretched, watching the raven walk away from me.

"Mari!" Rose chimed from behind me. I jumped and turned to look at her as she raced up to me. Her dress flew around her as she ran leaving a white and red blur in her wake.

"Hey," I said lightly plastering on a fake smile.

"Guess what?" she practically barked, smiling brightly.

"What?" I asked trying to shake Alaric's face out of my head.

"I'm," she started looking around to make sure no one was listening. "I think I'm horny," she giggled covering her mouth.

"Rose!" I whispered, covering her mouth with my hand. "Excuse me?"

"Yup!" she smiled. "It's weird! I just kissed that guy," she paused, "on accident of course," she stated feeling the need to clarify. "And now I'm horny!" she sang in my ear.

I let out a breath of hot air and cringed. "Don't say that word," I said looking around the room. "We should find Ranger," I said grabbing her arm and pulling her away.

"Why Ranger?" she chirped. "Why find Ranger when we can find blonde hair and biceps over there," she pulled her arm from mine and began to walk back towards him. I watched her disappear into the crowd, and it wasn't long before Ranger appeared in my sight dragging Rose along with him by the upper arm.

"Ouch," Rose squealed trying to loosen Rangers grip.

"Oh, no you don't. Not after that," he growled at her. "You can stay right beside me for the rest of the evening."