Surprise of the Century

I'd woken up sprawled chaotically across my white and gold sheets. She looked so peaceful next to me, her defined muscles shaded in the morning glow seeping through the heavy curtains. I shuffled closer to her, resting my hand on her arm, making the most of this moment whilst she was still in the throws of dreaming. There was a blissful aura about her that radiated to the point where I could feel it in my bones. Nothing could have prepared me for how attached I was becoming to the swordswoman.

She opened her eyes, looked up at the ceiling, and then to me. Her arms pulled me into a strong embrace as the sighed wistfully, still half asleep. I relaxed into them, all my worries and concern about 'royal behaviour' and getting caught had dissipated into oblivion at this moment, I hoped we could stay like this all morning, but after a short while she released me from her arms and stood up, beginning to get dressed. I pulled the covers up over my bare chest, watching her silently, admiring every angle and line of her stature.

"I must not be seen leaving your chambers my lady, would you check if the hallway is empty?"

I nodded, standing up and swinging the silk robe which was placed on my dressing table stool over my naked body. I opened the door a crack, peeking round cautiously. The hallways in this castle echoed so loudly, it was very easy to hear if someone was around even if they were far away. I heard nothing, and gestured for Lex to leave whilst no one was around. She stole a quick kiss, pinning me against the doorframe and then left without another word. I touched my fingers to where her lips once were and stayed by the door, watching her leave until I couldn't even see her anymore. The only confirmation of last night's unimaginable events were the risqué memories and the sound of her footsteps turning softer and softer as she walked away from me.

I giggled, pulling my robe round me tighter and retreating back to bed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Time to rise princess!"

"Ada please," I whined, pushing a pillow onto my face as light flooded the room. She was eagerly yanking back the curtains, bustling about my room and completely ignoring my disdain for mornings.

"King Creon told me to notify you that Mattheus is feeling much better this morning, and would like to see you when you're ready."

Guilt instantly crept up on me, and I must have looked upset, as Ada was looking at me funny.

"Where are your sleeping garments my lady?" She asked innocently, looking confused.

"Oh!" I gasped, clutching at my bedcovers. Why hadn't I put them on after Lex left?

"I was rather inebriated last night, I must have forgotten," I lied quickly, and Ada burst out laughing, thank goodness she believed me.

"Sounds like something you would do my lady, would you like to wear your emerald green gown today?"

"Yes please, and where is Hilda this morning?"

"I have no idea," Ada muttered, pulling the silky dress up over my arms and buttoning it.

"Wouldn't surprise me if she's still in bed your highness," she continued to grumble, and I laughed, about to reply when the door was flung open.

A very disheveled looking Hilda burst through, completely out of breath.

"Oh look who it is," Ada glowered, and I grinned as Hilda scrambled for my comb on my dresser.

"I apologise for oversleeping my lady, I don't know how it happened!"

"Don't worry Hilda," I replied sweetly, but Ada was still amusingly blunt with her fellow lady in waiting.

"I might have an idea of how it happened, I mean I was holding your hair back last night outside the tavern..."

"Ada!" Hilda snapped, glaring as she brushed through my tousled blonde hair.

"Stop bickering you two, I'm starving," I giggled, and they finally settled down, apologising and finishing up with their duties.

"The smell of bacon when I ran past the palace kitchens to get here nearly made me retch, I hope I can sit through breakfast,"

"You'll be fine Hilda, stop being so dramatic," her friend rolled her eyes and tutted.

"Come with us princess, we'll take you."

We walked together, talking about how rowdy and fun the tavern was last night when the comments turned to Lex, specifically about how brave she was for fighting off that boar.

"King Creon wouldn't stop babbling about it, I can't wait for her knighthood ceremony this afternoon, I expect you're happy too princess, I know you two get on very well."

"You do?" I answered, dismay present in my voice. Clearly I hadn't been hiding my emotions as well as I thought.

"Well of course, You seem to enjoy each others company very much, I can definitely see a friendship beginning to blossom."

Friendship.

Was that what it looked like? I was pleased neither of them suspected anything, but also a little worried about what Lex thought. I hoped she noticed how much I had grown to adore her, she deserved to know.

"Good morning princess, how are you?"

Mattheus sprung from the dining hall doorway, bowing his greeting as I curtseyed in return.

"I am fine, I think I should be asking you that question though," I chuckled, and he shuffled his feet, embarrassed.

"I'm not usually like that, I promise I will make it up to you, I have a surprise planned after this afternoon's ceremony," he beamed, eyes sparkling.

I wondered what it could possibly be, he appeared very excited about it. He took my hand and led me into the dining hall with him, ambling towards the royal family table. Automatically, my eyes darted to Lex's post. Much to my surprise, she wasn't there. I heard booming laughter ring out though the hall and looked over at my father. I was shocked to see Lex sat at the table opposite him, they seemed to be getting on extremely well considering my father wouldn't even regard her as a human less than a month ago. My heart skipped a beat as I was suddenly overcome with flashbacks from the night before. I had to visibly shake myself to regain my composure, and I sat down in my chair beside father, kissing him on the cheek.

"Ah good Morgana you're here! You never told me how hilarious Dame Lex is," he grinned, biting into a piece of buttered bread.

"You never gave me a chance," I joked, and picked up the apple on my side plate.

"Morning Princess, how are you feeling?"

"Good thank you Lex," I replied, trying to avoid eye contact.

"You seemed shaken up over the boar attack, I'm glad you're feeling better now," she continued, taking a mouthful from her bowl of oats.

My memories of the boar attack were foggy, but I was almost certain I hadn't been affected by it in the way she conveyed. 

"Really?" Father asked, also a little unclear with her description.

"Oh yes, she was physically shaking when I returned her to her chambers," Lex said plainly, staring directly at me to the point where it intimidated me.

"Fine when I left though," she added smirking, and busied herself with a mouthful of oats to stop herself from laughing.

I choked on my apple when I realised what she was referring to, and coughed so much father had to pat me on the back. I narrowed my eyes directly at Lex, lips pressed firmly together. My tense expression must have displayed the warning I wanted to yell at her, because next time she looked up, she went back to her oats quickly. Her sly innuendo went unnoticed thank goodness, flew over everyone's heads, and the rest of breakfast was event free.