Hit the Target

"Archery requires more strength in your arms than you may think, princess."

I ignored her, determined to hit the target. My arms quivered as I took aim, the slight wobble proving Lex right, I needed to build up more muscle. The arrow sailed through the air, and thumped on the edge of the ring Lex carved into an oak tree. The ring was large, an easy target, but I was excited with my improvement, turning to Lex with bright eyes.

I glanced up quickly, I hadn't realised how close she'd gotten as I was concentrating so hard on firing the arrow in a straight line. The same knowing look on her face as always, she stood tall and quietly took the bow from me, her worn knuckles brushing against my soft fingertips. She turned swiftly, fired straight away, and smirked as the arrow landed dead centre in the ring.

I folded my arms defiantly at her, trying to look unimpressed with her showing off. She offered me her hand, and I looked at it wide eyes and wary. What did she want?

"I won't hurt you my Lady, I just want to help," she chuckled, after noticing my tense demeanour. I placed my hand in hers, and she pulled me so I was facing away from her, placing her other hand on my shoulder and turning me side on to face the tree. My heart was bumping about erratically in my chest, every point of contact felt otherworldly, I'd never experienced anything like this before.

With her bow in one hand and an arrow in the other, her arms curved round me, capturing me in an embrace-like hold. I could feel her steady breathing on the side of my neck as she hooked the arrow into the bow string.

"Put your hands on top of mine, feel how I move and aim," she commanded, and timidly, I did as I was told. She drew the arrow back taught, our hands moving as one, and I noticed how still she was. It was most helpful to see how she aimed, and I understood why she was showing me this way, but I still found it difficult to comprehend why I was becoming so hot and bothered at the pressure of her chest against my back. 

She released the arrow, and immediately placed a protective hand over the bow string to make sure it didn't snap back and strike my face. I raised my eyebrows in surprise as she still managed to hit the target.

"Try again," she suggested, handing me the bow and taking a step back. I instantly missed the contact, but paid no attention to it. Instead, I focused all my attention into this one arrow. 

Remember her movements, utilise your strength, and be as still as you can, I thought to myself, taking a short breath before aiming and firing briskly. 

"Bullseye," she grinned, her pleased voice laced with triumph. 

My first bullseye! I contained a small jump of excitement, but she noticed, and laughed.

"You learn quickly Princess, maybe I'm not needed after all."

"We'll see what father says about that," I replied, looking over to the sun which was starting to dip. "Let's ride back now so you can warm up for your trial."

Her face fell ever so slightly, I almost missed it. The second trial was jousting, I didn't really know much about Lex's abilities with this type of combat, but she seemed very comfortable on horseback, I was sure she'd find the trial easy. I was secretly hoping she'd pass, I didn't want our time together to end.

"May I ride with you again soon though Princess, regardless of whether I win or lose the trials?"

"Of course. As always, in Palestine, what's mine is yours."

"You have a kind heart, your highness, don't let anyone take that from you."

Her tone was serious all of a sudden, and I stopped untying Raven.

"I'm a princess, it's expected for me to be honourable," I tried to reason, but she shook her head, walking closer to me.

"It's expected, but not always the reality. Your generosity is endless, I can see why Mattheus likes you."

I outwardly flinched at the mention of his name, and a look of certainty crossed her face. It was almost as if she was testing me to see my reaction, and it appeared she'd found her answer. 

I did not want to marry him. I can comfortably say that in my head, but out loud? A royal could never.