Golden hour

I watched in the dawning sun as she fitted blinkers on the carthorse .

She returned my smile easily, never looking away as she tightened Vesta's harness, gazing at me so endearing.

"My lady."

She held out her hand and I walked over, taking it as she guided me up the carriage steps. I reached the top, and her hand slipped out of mine as she held the door.

"See you at noon."

I replied the same, slightly annoyed that she was required to ride on the back of the carriage outside as guard protocol. Inside were My father, Quince and I. At least Lex had Gawain to keep her company on the rickety seat, I thought to myself, waiting for everyone else to arrive. Soon we were all on board, ready to set off to the sweet Kingdom of Arden for King Maudred's memorial. Mattheus had left last eve after the feast and ceremony to help prepare the townsfolk for our arrival, father had ordered William and Francis to escort him in a smaller carriage last night, so they were all already there.

The ceremony was beautiful, actually. It took place in the castle's large chapel, a perfect way to honour King Maudred and Sir Giles' names without falling dismal. The open space had been lit ceiling to floor with hundred of candles, and the pews were lines with townsfolk. Not all were able to secure a place inside, and the sheer crowd standing patiently outside just to simply be there was moving in itself. 

A ceremonial knights march was followed by a tearful speech from both my Father and Mattheus. It felt strange mourning a narthex with no body, Sir Giles and King Maudred had been transported back to Arden immediately with the help of Sir Percival and Sir Biron.

Although I'd never been to Arden before, there was another kingdom and also a small village we were to pass through that I'd visited many times before. I was hoping we'd have a chance to say hello even for a few minutes, the townsfolk in both were close allies with our kingdom. It would be quite possible to make some stops, we would likely arrive at late noon. The journey was peaceful, through a cobbled street winding into damp earth in the denser forest. I loved hearing the sound of the wind outside whilst we were cosy in the carriage, and smiled to myself thinking of Lex in the sunshine. She loved the breeze, and as much as I wished she were next to me, it was much easier to disguise feelings when she wasn't too close to me. Father suggested we visit Lymell on the journey to, and Jesserly on the journey from, as he wanted to buy some gifts for Arden from Lymell and it could take some time. I agreed, we wouldn't want to be late for Mattheus, it would be impolite.

The kingdom of Lymell was the definition of how you should never judge a book by its cover. The kingdom was hardy and grey looking, stuctures awash with rough limestone, but the townsfolk were so gracious and respectable. We liked to help them out with coin generously when buying our meat from them for the palace kitchens. Father and the chief hunter got on exceptionally well, rare and quality meats such as wild boar were always reserved for us when our servants arrived weekly for supplies. 

Jesserly was quite the opposite. It was a small, pretty village teeming with wildlife and sanctuary. The village was run by women, a rare find, and father was once wary of it for a long while after there were rumours of witchcraft becoming rife within the walls. He had an opposing opinion now, even our court physician often sourced herbs and spices for his healthcare from Jesserly. Father caught a serious case of phthisis when I was young, and I was told my mother sought help from the little village as a last resort. The oracle Kira had brewed a tea and poultice with herbs and spices for him, and his recovery was miraculous. They've been welcomed and protected by Palestine ever since. 

Whenever I visited, their village always felt like a haven to me, all the women are friendly and hospitable. I was excited to see Willa, the high priestess of the village. She'd been teaching me that you could use plants and foliage to perform charms, spells and even hexes. I could sense she was nervous to tell me more because of my status, but I wouldn't dream of sharing her secrets with anyone else. Her lifestyle intrigued me greatly, I hoped that one day she'd teach me more.

The carriage was trundling along with a steady pace, and I became excited as Lymell drew closer. Pat had sent us along with some treats for the journey, and I made sure to tuck into some bread and jam first, we arrived at Lymell just before high noon. Father was eager to introduce Lex to the chief, and I decided to let them have some alone time. Gawain accompanied me instead, it was so apealling to watch father and Lex laughing and joking with each other. Maybe one day, he'd be ok with my feelings. Maybe he'd overlook the scorn and see how happy we made each other.

Gawain could see I was distracted, and took me to a market stall where they were selling flowers. He bought me buttercups from the sweet lady, overpaying greatly. He really was a soft character behind all the battle training, and I gave him a kiss on the cheek in thanks. Another stall caught my eye, there were rows and rows of hand-sewn leather protective gear. Gloves, shoulder pads, shin covers, my eyes landed on the final row. Wrist guards, different colours, shapes and sizes. Instantly I wanted to buy Lex a new one. Hers was becoming tired looking and shredded from all the use. There was a rosewood coloured one with intricate white stitching, I loved the contrast and was instantly drawn to it. The swirl pattern was subtle and beautiful, I hoped she would like it.

"Good day sir, how much for this one?"

I asked the elderly man politely and he followed my pointer finger to where the wristguard lay nestled among the others. He picked it up, the thimble on his finger glinting in the sunlight. It wasn't often you saw men working in the sewing trade, but I'd argue their handiwork to be some of the best I have ever owned. 

"For you princess, it shall be free," he insisted kindly and wrapped it in a linen rag bound with twine for me.

"You are too generous sir, this craftsmanship must be rewarded! I know you will not accept, so I shall leave coin for you here, thank you!"

I waved goodbye and left swiftly with Gawain, I didn't want him to try and return his hard earned winnings. 

"Who's that for?" Gawain raised a teasing eyebrow, but I paid no notice. 

"Lex, hers was damaged greatly after that boar attack, this new one will ensure she has everything she needs to keep me safe."

Gawain was smiling fondly, I doubted he really knew the extent of how close Lex and I had become, I was happy keeping it that way for a while.