Yes or no?

I admired the pretty royal purple gown in my silver mirror, moving my arms in an animated fashion to make the sleeves billow out around me.

"Will you two be joining the feast tonight?" I asked the ladies in waiting, and dabbed some of my perfume onto my neck. The musky scent spilled into the air and I blotted some more on my wrists, I wanted the deep fragrance to last all night.

"Of course Lady Morgana, King Creon requested the attendance of all Palestine townsfolk, we're so very excited!"

I was pleased he'd called upon such a large crowd in the name of Lex becoming a knight of Palestine, the occasion marked the progression of his own happiness as well as the Kingdom's. 

Ada and Hilda were finishing their final touches just as a knock rapped against my heavy wooden door.

"Come in," I called out, assuming it was father, but Mattheus peered round instead, what was he doing here?

"You look as pretty as a picture my Princess," he spoke dreamily, eyes sweeping over my attire and resting on my face. Ada and Hilda were both giggling and swooning beside me, but I only felt flattered, unfortunately it was becoming more and more clear how much I lacked romantic interest in the handsome Prince.

"Thank you Mattheus," I replied gratefully, his comment was very sweet and I curtseyed politely.

 "Is all well?"

"Of course, I just thought I would escort you to dinner tonight, that is if Ada and Hilda don't mind," he grinned at them. I laughed, pretending to check with them to humour the situation, and they both nodded, ushering me towards him.

I left them in my chambers, linking my hand onto Mattheus' forearm like I usually did whilst we strolled the castle halls peacefully. I could already hear the commotion from here, and Mattheus and I exchanged glances, chuckling at the level of sheer noise booming out from the castle forecourt. 

"Morgana!" My father announced, striding over with a huge smile on his face.

"I thought you'd never arrive, the feast is about to begin."

"Sorry father, I hope I'm not late?"

"Of course not, Dame Lex was just telling me about your day today, I'm pleased you two are getting along so well, you make an excellent team." He gestured for her to join the conversation, but Mattheus and father didn't seem to notice the unspoken tension between Lex and I. I couldn't stop analysing what she had said in response to my potential marriage to Mattheus, and by the look on her face she clearly wished she'd never said it. She was tipsy, so I don't think I will ever be able to work out whether she was sincere or not. 

The fanfare commenced, and Father hushed the forecourt, a quiet chatter among some of the knights smattered throughout the room. Quince was announcing our entrance, knights first followed by royalty. Lex however was the knight to lead the royals, and Mattheus and I prepared to walk into the massive dining hall. I gathered my skirt up slightly with one hand, and placed my other in Mattheus'. We held them at shoulder height and waited for Quince to speak our names. 

At the mention, Lex began to lead us into the large hall, a ripple of applause resounding as we made the walk down the centre of the carpeted aisle to our table at the end. I couldn't take my eyes off her as she strode powerfully in front of me. Her gait was mesmerising, and I drowned out the sound of cheering townsfolk, focusing only on the rhythm of her leadened footsteps.

I was sat next to Father and of course Mattheus, but I desperately hoped she was seated near me, maybe even opposite like she was this morning. I stole a glance at the name cards on the table as I neared my seat, and furiously suppressed a smile. It wasn't a surprise she was seated opposite me, she was my personal protector after all. Mattheus pulled out my chair for me and I sat down, thanking him. Lex removed her helmet and shook out her long, ebony coloured hair over the shoulder plates of her new crested armour. It suited her, my eyes simply refused to look away, even when she noticed me staring I was still hooked. 

She regarded me with a raised eyebrow as she put her helmet beside her. It was strange to me that when she used to catch me looking, I'd immediately snap my head in the opposite direction, turning a raging shade of pink, but now, I truly didn't care what she thought. I suppose it was because we were now both aware we had feelings for each other, the mortifying matter of one of us getting the wrong idea wasn't there anymore.

Father's loud voice made me jump, he was declaring the start of the feast. I was rather hungry, the picnic Pat provided for us was excellent, it was just later in the evening than we usually ate, and alcohol consumption never fails to make me crave a hearty meal.

"To Dame Lex of Palestine!" He bellowed, and raised his goblet of wine. I raised mine too and stood alongside him, looking down at her sun-kissed face.

Everyone cheered and took a drink in her name whilst she briefly bowed her head in a humble response.

'To you', I mouthed discreetly to her, and sipped the wine. She smiled at me affectionately as I sat down once more, appearing boundlessly appreciative of my small gesture.

Before long, a delicious looking leg of chicken was set in front of me, the aromatic gravy reaching my nostrils even before I had a glimpse. I waited patiently for everyone at the table to be served, and then picked up my utensils, digging in to the mouth-watering display. The conversation throughout the evening was easy, each person on the table bounced off each others questions and answers, happily tucking into their food as they did so. Father and I were just having a conversation about horse riding when I heard the sound of a knife clinking against a goblet beside me. Father reacted as if he'd been shot with an arrow, abruptly ending the conversation and looking at Mattheus with a wide grin on his face. I also looked at Mattheus, expecting him to speak about Lex, it was her night after all, but he gazed directly at me. 

His mannerisms were hesitant but he seemed sure of his actions, and when he was certain he had everyone's attention, he slowly lowered himself down onto one knee. Lex spat her wine back out into her goblet in disbelief and a gasp rippled across the room. I covered my open mouth with my hand, trying not to panic. 

"Surprise," he said nervously, and pulled a ring out of his waist pouch. Silence followed after the next words were uttered.

"Princess Morgana of Palestine, will you marry me?"