For better, or for worse?

My head was hung low on this occasion as I stood before the townsfolk. Father insisted we all wear black to mark the announcement as a heavy one. Even before he started speaking, cries of dismay lapped over the arena as they laid eyes upon the royals, adorned head-to-toe in the onyx shade. I glimpsed the Swordswoman beside me. Her presence did offer me comfort, but I was still shaken from this morning. We were almost caught together by Hilda, if Lex hadn't run and hidden behind my dressing wall I wouldn't have known how to explain myself, and that was quite a nerve-wracking thought.

This sunrise, the royals and the knights from both kingdoms had all sat down with each other at the round table and discussed about what would be best moving forward. The revelation that struck me the most was from my Father and Mattheus. As Mattheus was now in line to be crowned the King of Arden, we were no longer able to marry. The amount of relief that swirled through me in that moment was almost embarrassing, I was appalled at my disregard to the actual matter at hand. 

King Maudred's passing should never be seen as my ticket out of the marriage, and yet I could see Lex take a breath as if she were just as relieved as I was. Stood next to her on the platform now with the hope that maybe, just maybe it wasn't that fantastical to think we could be together one day was so disrespectful to the late king, not to mention my ex-fiance.

"There will be a ceremony tonight to honour the fallen King, Palestine's dear ally. We have also decided to celebrate the coming coronation of Prince Mattheus. This will take place tomorrow in the late afternoon, all townsfolk that are able to attend are welcome to the Kingdom of Arden for the ceremony, and I urge you to show your support."

My Father was always excellent with words, and turned downcast occasions into new beginnings, he always impressed me with that.

Everyone on the platform had different things to speak about, and Mattheus stepped forward next.

"I know my father best of all, and he would have wanted us to celebrate his life, not mourn his passing. Please do all listen to your King and join the coronation, I will set up market stalls and entertainment for before and after the ceremony, my father would have wanted us to be happy, let's all fulfil his last wish together."

The townsfolk cheered, and I smiled at the man, who was so much like his doting father. In some ways, being a life partner with such a beautiful soul would have been delightful, regardless of whether I was attracted to him or not.

I was next to speak up, and for once I didn't feel terribly nervous. 

"As I am sure most of you have realised, Mattheus and I are no longer able to marry due to the circumstances that took place last night. I for one, am devastated that this has been the outcome, but I will say with my hand on my heart, that this man is the kindest I have ever had the privilege of getting to know. He is loving, earnest, and caring."

He took my hand and squeezed it, smiling widely at me out of gratitude from my truthful words. 

"There will be others that would be so lucky to have you, and they best make you as happy as you made me, or they do not deserve you."

He kissed me one final time, and I was more than happy to return it as he thanked me for my speech. The knights started lining up on the front of the stage, both from Palestine and Arden, and Lex stood in the middle. Her black cape rippled in the breeze as she lifted her crested shield to the sky.

"Da pacem domine," she called, and her voice shattered the frosty air. 

Everyone knelt, and repeated after her three times before standing again.

"King Maudred was my mentor, and biggest supporter. He helped me achieve things I never thought I was capable of, and I will forever be indebted to him. tomorrow, let's all raise a glass to the fallen, and keep moving forward."

There was something sublime about the way she held attention, not to mention the power she exuded. The townsfolk bowed as we filed off the stage, Lex close behind me. Shortly after I returned to the main hall, Quince informed me that Pat asked if I would like to help her prepare today's lunch. It was such a lovely suggestion, I was really looking forward to a distraction from the whirlwind of recent events.

I didn't waste another minute before rushing to the kitchens, holding my skirt up as I sped through the winding corridors so as not to trip over. The smell of freshly baked pastries hit my nostrils even before I arrived, and I was so caught up in it, Lex surprised me when she grasped my arm gently and slowed me down to face her. There was a twinkle in her eye, a glimmer of amusement at my excitement.

"Where are you off to so fast? I never expected to have to chase you through the hallway this morning."

I giggled back and brushed my skirt down to un-crease it.

"Pat wants me to help her with lunch, why did you run after me, did you need something?"

I asked politely, and she only smiled, shaking her head.

"No Princess, I was just curious where you were off to in such a hurry."

Her hand touched mine and I tried not to react, but I could sense the blush seeping into my cheekbones. She put her other hand on my lower back, and I took a sharp intake of breath, quickly looking up and down the hallway in case someone was there. She grinned and pulled me in close to her, tilting her head down to whisper in my ear.

"I'll see you later, my lady. Enjoy."

I'd lost count of how many times I'd been dumbstruck by her poise, and stared helplessly, a foolish grin on my lips before she kissed the smile into oblivion. I came to my senses and weakly pushed her back, surveying the surroundings frantically again. Luckily there was no one to be found, and by the time I looked over to her, she was backing away from me slowly. She put a finger to her lips as they curved up into a mischievous smile. I folded my arms and shook my head at her, trying not to laugh as she disappeared from sight.