37: reunion.

"What's this one doing here?" I asked Bella with a scrunched up nose and frown

"What's this one doing here?" I asked Bella with a scrunched up nose and frown. I smelled him from a mile away.

It was surprising enough to see Bella standing outside my doorway but for her puppy to follow her was shocking. I lifted the wine glass to my nose and inhaled the red wine in hopes to douse the smell of her friend.

"Mm. Hello to you too." Bella scoffed as she let herself in and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. Despite her initial greeting I had my eyes trained on the other one. "Um.. It's kind of a long story but we can get to that later. Can I sit down?" I stepped further aside to let the two of them in. It was in my best interest to prop open the windows; to let the room breathe. But because I didn't want to offend Bella further than I already had... I decided against it. She was here for a reason and I needed to respect that. Once Carlisle dropped me off a couple hours ago, I had a few moments to myself to settle in. I hadn't called Rosalie or Emmett like I promised because I wasn't completely comfortable with how I left my sleeping arrangements.

"Are you alright?" My eyebrow was arched upwards, completely ignoring her pet. Her eyes shifted anywhere but mine.

"It's just complicated." Bella shrugged her shoulders. I could feel the angst she had built inside of her. Almost immediately I triggered my powers to ease her discomfort. Then maybe she'd tell me what was going on in her head.

"I'm actually here for... Jasper." Bella admitted as she twiddled her thumbs together. The shifter chuckled and crossed his arms after she reacted the way she did. This caught me by surprise, as she was the last person I saw getting involved. It wasn't like she didn't care for my situation; she just knew everyone else pestered me about it. An image of Demetri's lips against my neck flashed before my eyes. A scoff left my lips alongside a dry chuckle. "It's not funny Sage." She snapped which made the smile drop. "I'm really worried about him."

I briefly apologized to her before I let her continue. What left her lips came as a huge shock to me. Apparently, Jasper went through the lengths of catching Bella around with Jacob. Something about being constantly watched and making it seem like it was a coincidence. He made it brief, stating if he were a fraction of a second longer away from Alice; it'd be noticeable. He quickly wrote something on paper and shoved it into Bella's hands. He begged for her to pass along the message with the following words;

I never stopped loving you.

The words resonated with feelings akin to my own. It felt foreign to hear such kind words coming from her old mate. They felt warm despite them coming through Bella's mouth. The mutt had to go ruin the moment and chuckle at the cheesy way it came out. Bella threw him a scolding look to which he just shrugged his shoulders.

"It's just so corny to me." Jacob admitted with no care in the world. He clearly wasn't too keen on our situation.

"Coming from the love sick mutt." I returned a snide remark as I held the paper Bella handed to me close to my chest.