part two: figures.

"You're the same old Sage I remember

"You're the same old Sage I remember."

A gasp escaped Sage Bradshaw's lips as she rose from where she lay. Her eyes shine bright gold through the black cloak of the night. She exhaled slowly as she gathered herself from the trance she had self induced. Her dreamlike state brought her back moments before the demise of an old vampire she once knew. James. His words still haunted her to this day, months later. She focused on what little light peered into the room to find where her mate might be. Jasper always had restless nights but lately it's been less manageable. He's constantly buried in journals filled with his recent thoughts or adventures. She figured she'd wake to find him sitting on the windowsill where the moon light would shine against the pages for him. Though he was no where to be found. A small crinkle of the nose indicated his scent was nowhere near where she was.

Sage threw her legs over the bed knowing she couldn't put herself back into the trance. More often than not, she'd been reminiscing over the words James spoke to her. Their old times together in New Orleans poked around in her head, giving her a constant state of dread. She wanted to believe she wasn't the same, that she had grown from who she used to be. Lately though, the blood lust had resurfaced. Being away from the influence of the Cullens did bring some old habits and tendencies back. She found it harder to control her urge to sink her fangs into an unsuspecting human recently. Something inside broke and the smell of fresh, human blood seemed more tantalizing than ever. She's done an impressive job keeping it from Jasper.

If Jasper found out, she didn't know how he'd react. She understood how weak he was. But compared to him, she was more susceptible to human blood. Part of her felt guilty for keeping this from him, yet she felt like she hadn't owed him anything. She tried her best to look past the betrayal Jasper bestowed upon her, but it was easier said that done.

When they first traveled to Paris, France; it was awkward. As hopeful as they both were to make amends and try to continue from promises they made; it was difficult. Sage couldn't bring up conversation, and Jasper felt like he was on thin ice.

Which he was.

On occasion, Sage let him know that. She hated being the person who forbade him from certain things but that was a requirement. She didn't want him speaking to Alice; point, blank, period. Every time they'd check up on the Cullens all the way back in the States, she made it a point for Jasper to never even hear Alice's voice.

She was insane.

She felt that.

But if she wanted to make things work with her mate, this was a condition in order to move forward. Part of her hated herself for becoming this. She was jealous, uneasy, and insecure for the first time in decades. To think, someone she was meant to be in love with for eternity, incited these type of negative emotions within her.