16: Mitigate.

16: Mitigate.

» This is the road to ruin, and we're starting at the end. Let's be alone together. We can stay young forever. «

"Sage, can you just come back so we can speak about this? I'm sorry I yelled— Please just come home."

"Ge, I'm sorry I didn't tell you Jasper and I dated. I know you must be absolutely mad at me, but please try to hear me out."

"I feel like this is all my fault Sage, I apologize. I should've kept my mouth shut. Come home when you're ready to."

"Hey it's Fergie again... I miss you. I hope you come home soon. I'm sorry I wasn't much help especially when you needed it."

"I know I'm the last person you'd want to speak to but... you just have to hear me out."

The phone clicked dead when the last message played out. I barely paid attention to it. My eyes gazed at the setting sun. The orange and red hues peered through the windows and decorated the inside of the house. My fingers drummed absentmindedly against the oak wood coffee table. It's been days...

...possibly weeks since I've been home. Jasper tried to reconcile when I finally calmed down enough to go back to the house. But something inside me had broken and it would've taken much more than an apology to fix this. It's as if a chord in my heart struck and the bandage he wrapped around it wasn't enough. I had confronted my mate— my mate
about why he kept such a thing from me. And more so, why Alice and Edward had kept their mouth shut as well. It was obvious to those two that I wasn't told of this previous relationship. With no forewarning just deepened the wound. I felt betrayed by two people I considered to be family; betrayed by my lover, my mate, my eternal partner.

Nothing prepared me for the emptiness I felt inside when he tried to reason with me. The image of Jasper on his knees wasn't enough. He begged for forgiveness, he begged a chance at an explanation. But I couldn't give him that. Alice knew you stay away; everyone knew to stay away. The feelings I harbored had also reached them. I wasn't able to control my power, they felt the anguish I had. The distraught and the pain I had deep within me, coursed through their body.

Not only had I emotionally punished myself for keeping the conversation and the feelings I harbored private from Jasper; but once the truth came out he berated me. He lectured me on feelings I never had and made me feel worse than I already did. Then to only find out he's been keeping a secret from me... for decades might I had. I couldn't forgive him easily. Our relationship felt like it was built on a lie. As much as it hurt to be apart from him this long; his inconsideration was worse.

I ran off that very same day unable to think. There was little to no privacy in the house either way. I couldn't articulate everything I felt within those walls. Before I left though, I told Alice it was in her best interest not to watch my decisions. I didn't feel the need to be stalked while I sorted myself out.