27: enough.

You're the one who's gonna lose, something so special, something so real

I rested my head on the palm of my hand I waited for the guest of honor.

The frills of my dress tickled the skin of my exposed legs as we all lounged in the living room for Bella to finally arrive. Despite the weather having no real effect on us, the heat radiated through the house for her sake. In preparation for her visit, I feasted an hour before she arrived.

"How lovely for you to be matching." I seethed through my lips as I saw Alice and Jasper walk through the door. If her visions were correct, Edward should be driving up this very moment. Esme exhaled and pinched the bridge of her nose as the air grew thicker. No longer would I play the nice guy in this horrid situation. Since the incident this morning at school, she's been keeping a safe distance and cowering behind Jasper. She barely met eyes with me as she tried to rearrange some flowers that were the furthest from where I sat. The hostile energy I gave off was like an invisible shield around me. No one wanted to be near.

"Sage." Jasper threw me a desperate, pleading look that I scoffed at. I scrunched my nose and mocked his tone with me as I looked at my polished nails. Emmett snickered in his corner at the exchange before he placed a kiss on Rosalie's temple. A part of me grew jealous at their bond. It was still pure and withstood the issues they had. I licked my lips as I heard the two walk into the house. Her scent filled the entire house instantly. I pursed my lips to keep myself in check. With the stress going on lately, my bloodlust has only increased. Part of me found it harder to control but I've just upped my intake of animals in hopes to balance it. The skin of my palms cracked when I clenched too tightly on myself. It was one thing to be in school where the air filtered everything in and out. The windows were open or doors weren't shut so the smell of blood wasn't all condensed. This was another thing completely; her scent was almost suffocating inside this house. The tingling sensation in my throat began as her footsteps drew closer. I swallowed in attempt to subside the feeling.

"It's time! It's time, it's time!" Alice's excited voice beckoned the birthday girl as she led her in our direction. We all stood by our respective partners and stared with smiles on our faces to greet the shy girl. The candles flickered as they quickly descended down the stairs, with Edward closely behind.

"Sorry about all this." Carlisle sheepishly greeted the centuries younger girl. He offered Bella his hands, which she gracefully took while Esme came to her husband's side. "We tried to rein Alice in."

"As if that were possible!" Esme chimed in as she reached to hug Bella. Rosalie had been led to her direction with a tight lipped look on her face with Emmett to lead the way. "Happy birthday Bella!" Alice whizzed past me with her camera to snap a shot at Bella. They exchanged a few words though it sounded like murmurs. I've learned to drown Alice out as much as possible.