19: Phoenix.

»  i'm outside the door, invite me in

»  i'm outside the door, invite me in. so we can go back and play pretend. i'm on deck, yeah I'm up next. tonight I'm high as a private jet. yeah. let's be alone together. we could stay young forever. scream it from the top of your lungs. «

It was a phenomenon. What happened to Sage was unheard of upon many vampires. Carlisle immediately went to his study the moment his family came home. He researched all he could about her condition. He almost caved into turning to the Volturi for help, but Jasper begged him not to. He didn't want them involved in their family affairs. It's been several days since Sage became unconscious. The house was equally divided on her. She was either dead or alive. The only other decision to be made was whether to burn her body on not. Edward was at his wit's end. He couldn't hear any of her thoughts. She remained motionless. Like a life sized porcelain doll on display. Alice couldn't read anything from her either, not like she intended to in the first place. If her own thoughts and decisions weren't being monitored by Edward, she'd already tell the Volturi. Jasper felt otherwise, as much as they would argue, he felt her emotions. As if it was a light gust of wind, he felt her. Whatever she was dreaming, he could feel her emotions. Angst, fear, dread... this was all he could get from her. Alice was convinced he was going crazy and it was his feelings he misinterpreted to be hers. Esme couldn't help but side with Alice on that. She was skeptical of her survival as well.

Rosalie and Emmett ventured further north to get help from their sister coven. It was the least they could do. If there weren't any obvious answers there, they'd go further. Besides, Rosalie insisted she spend time apart from Alice. Her attitude towards the situation was becoming intolerable.

Jasper never left her side. He was adamant on her survival. There was no way she could easily die from a hit on her head. Though for some reason, her regenerative abilities hadn't healed the large gash on the back of her head. He could feel her emotions. Whatever she was trapped in, he could sense it. That was the last glimmer of hope he held on to. Day in and day out, Jasper sat with his mate. His grip on her hands never faltered, and he scarcely left to even feed.

Unbeknownst to them, Sage remained conscious. She lay in a comatose state but it was hard for them to tell.

"She's been struck mainly around her hippocampus." Carlisle deduced as he flipped a page on his chart. He'd been recording his discoveries and research. A major component of the brain, the hippocampus dealt with emotions and memories. It was the twelfth day she lay in her wake. It's been four days since Jasper last fed. Everyone else was out to feed for awhile. The hunger he felt was his own self punishment. He didn't want to reward himself with a meal when Sage's condition was of his own doing. Inadvertently, but he took on this pain for his guilt's sake.

"Isn't there anything we could do?" Jasper mumbled as his onyx eyes stared at her facial features. She was as beautiful as he remembered. She had been gone for months. And the brief moment they spent together in the car was wasted. In truth, he was angry at himself for running to Alice when he shouldn't have. When Sage ran away, Alice was there to console him. Jasper was sentimental, it came with the ability he harbored. When his old lover offered him a comfort that no one else in the house could, he crawled back into her arms. There was no doubt Jasper loved Sage but he too was hurt. Though skewed and unjustified, as Rosalie thought; he was hurt.