20: Existential.

» let's be alone together. we can stay young forever. we'll stay young. i don't know where you're going, but do you got room for one more troubled soul. i don't know where I'm going, but i don't think i'm coming home. and i said, i'll check in tomorrow if i don't wake up dead. this is the road to ruin and we're starting at the end «

 this is the road to ruin and we're starting at the end «

1934.

"How has your day been my flower?" My mother asked as she gently brushed my hair down my back. It was a nice feeling after a long day with the kids. I've been tutoring and babysitting the neighborhood kids this entire week. Since their last school exams were coming up, everyone needed extra help. And there was a new building in town being made which required half the men to help. Emmett being one of them. I hadn't seen my boyfriend in days and I terribly missed him. I spoke to my mom about everything I've accomplished today. It was nice being able to help out the local kids, I hoped to one day grow old and see how much they could accomplish.

Being able to spend time with my mom like this was my favorite part of the day. Ever since it was just us two, she had to pick up after my father's work. Most days she was downed under piles and piles of paperwork. She always made the time for me. I truly appreciated it. As she finished the braid she sent me off to my room while she worked on dinner. It was the weekend so her work load was lighter and she insisted she didn't help tonight. It was apparently my treat. I sighed in relief once I hit my bed. It was indeed a long day.

Before I knew it, I slipped into a dreamless nap.

I woke by the light breeze that came through my window. I thought I left that closed when I came into bed. I lifted myself up off my bed and looked around the dimly lit room. What time was it? I questioned as I swung my legs over the bed to plant my feet on the ground. I definitely missed dinner. I wasn't even hungry anymore. I saw a shadow peak past my window. Normally, that would surprise any person. But I knew exactly who it was.

Emmett.

He'd make late night visits often after a long days of work. It was the norm. This way mom wasn't disturbed. Besides, I don't think I'm still entirely allowed to have boys over. She loved Emmett with all her heart but I didn't want to cross that line yet. Especially after losing my virginity to him just last week in this very bed. I blushed as the thought of us naked in my bed. I tucked my hair behind my ear as I leaned out of the window sill. His shadowy figure stood by our little kissing tree. It was where we shared our first kiss when we were both thirteen. At the time, we decided to just get it over with since all the other kids in our class were talking about it. We trusted each other and were comfortable with each other. My heart fluttered thinking about every one of our firsts together. My chest tightened at the thought of spending the rest of my life with him.

I waved at him with a large smile on my face. My floorboards creaked when a heavy enough force step foot into my room. He was smart enough to go to our usual hideout. I slipped on a pair of my shoes as I climbed out of my bedroom. There was a slight breeze that sent chills up my arms. But it was too late to grab a sweater. If we walked about a mile into the the forest, there was a small tributary that led into the local lake. If you wandered past that, there was crevice he and I made into our hideout. We stumbled upon it when we were children. Since then, we shared our deepest secrets, and left some of our most prized possessions inside there. No amount of erosion or rain could ever break down our mini fort. We usually met there at night. It gave us the perfect view of the moon hitting the water. The sounds of the nocturnal creatures echoed beautifully into the crevice. If I remembered correctly there was still a blanket left there after I had washed it. We were due for another one of our midnight adventures.