Chapter 13

•••

Heat flared to my cheeks. The captain who wanted me was really a woman. A woman who wanted me for herself. Not to mention, she was really beautiful.

Mika, who was surprisingly unfazed, only pushed her backwards with his sword.

She took a few steps backwards and grinned. "What? Are you afraid she'll choose me over you? Maybe you should be." She said before sending a wink my way.

I stood there with a stupid look on my face and blush adorning my cheeks like some lovesick high school girl.

     Ryu embellished two weapons at her hips, a sword and a pistol.

     Neither of which work on vampires, I thought.

     "Go wait outside," said Mika, with his back to me.

     I looked between him and Ryu.

     "Ill win for you, fair maiden!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms out dramatically. "And then, I'll make you the happiest woman alive," she grinned triumphantly, whipping out her sword and holding it the same way that Mika was.

     I quickly darted out of the room and closed the door behind me. My white pumps clicked lightly as I made my way up the stairs and out to the front deck.

     Once again, the light was overwhelming and I shielded my eyes from the sun with my hand. I made my way up the ship higher towards the steering wheel inside of a small semi-sheltered room.

     Did I know how to steer a boat? Absolutely not. Was I about to try. You bet your ass I was.

     I grabbed the wheel and a spark of childhood fascination flowed through my body. I could see the mainland behind the ship. We must not have gotten very far if I could still see land.

     I began slowly turning the wheel, and I'll admit, I was nothing less than eager when I saw the bow begin to turn.

Before I knew it, I was steering us back towards land.

I found myself wondering childishly if I could've been a pirate. Aye matey and all that crap.

I smiled, letting myself get lost in my silly thoughts.

     It had only been about 10 minutes when I heard the door reopen downstairs. Instinctively, I ducked under the wheel and tried to make myself as small and quiet as possible.

     If it wasn't Mika down there, I didn't want to reveal my position.

     I heard someone moving around the deck below, presumably searching for me. Then suddenly, it stopped. No more steps. I held my breath, straining to listen over the sounds of moving water crashing against the outside of the boat.

Then, just as suddenly as they had stopped, the sound of two feet landing directly in front of me surprised me so much that I let out a sharp yelp and fell backwards onto my ass, placing my hand over my racing heart.

I looked up at Mika with a frustrated look that said "you scared the wits out of me!"

"Sorry about that, I didn't mean to frighten you," he said, reaching his hand down to me.

I gave him a light glare before taking his gloved hand as an apology and letting him help me up to my feet.

I looked around again. The dead bodies. What would become of this ghost ship? What happens now? I looked back at Mika.

"What do we do now?" I asked. He looked at me with a bit of confusion

"We? Well, I'm going to take you back to Lord Ferid, and then he'll decide what he wants to happen next." He said, watching the land grow closer and closer. We were nearly 15 minutes away now.

"And the captain?" I asked, looking in the direction of the door below.

"Disposed of," he said dismissively. I frowned.

"I see..." I said, also looking out towards land. "Is there no way to convince you to let me go?"

"There's not," he said softly. "I apologize."

I only hummed in agreement. If he said there was no way around it, then I believed him. I got the feeling he's put more thought into it than I have.

"If... somehow I could escape," I began, looking towards him. "I could get back to the humans. The moon demon company, where I came from."

He said nothing and turned his head, avoiding my eyes. I stepped closer, hoping to break the barrier.

"You wouldn't have to worry about guarding me and I wouldn't even tell them about you guys," I said, hoping to strike a cord in him.

He didn't budge. How can I get through to him? What's his weak spot?

He stared out onto the open water. His eyes really were pretty. The same color as the crashing waves. It was almost poetic.

He turned his body around, clearly not enjoying my intense stare.

"You have beautiful eyes," I said softly, without even thinking about it. It slipped out without my realizing.

He visibly tensed up. What did his face look like right now? Was he disgusted? Was he flattered? Did I just ruin his day? Whatever it was, it got a reaction so I decided to run with it.

"You know... your hair looks really soft too. I kinda want to run my fingers through it, fluff it up a bit." I smiled, knowing that even though I couldn't see his face, I was definitely getting a reaction.

"Can I hold your hand Mika?" I asked, stretching my luck.

Without saying anything, he began to walk away quickly, his black thigh high boots clicking as they connected with the wood.

Gotcha.

I quickly followed behind him like a duckling, hands behind my back and grinning like an idiot.

"A simple 'no' would suffice you know," I said, following him around as he walked aimlessly in an attempt to get away from me.

"I think you're a really pretty boy, Mika."

He sped up and I giggled.

"You don't know how to handle compliments, do you?" I asked, practically chasing after him now.

He stopped and spun around to face me so fast that I almost crashed into him but he caught me by the shoulders before I could collide. He brought his face down to mine and I realized that he had a light but noticeable blush on his face. I resisted a smile.

"Knock it off (y/n)," he said sternly.

     "Aye aye captain."